When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this frame??

-

Row B

On Training Wheels
1D3982E5-3554-4F3B-A979-C5708ABCD143.jpeg
70D4E717-4885-4E0D-ADD7-67FD043BA0BA.jpeg
image.jpg
Ok so I bought this bike not long ago and I want to find out what it is. I’ve done every generic google search I can think of and nothing has popped up even close. I have a head plate for it but for some reason it’s so marred that I can’t read what it says. Maybe someone here knows, maybe not, but I’d like to take the chance. I know it’s old, I can tell by general features. Frame design, the location of the hub, the size of the sprocket, the fact that it’s so dang heavy and strong. So please if anyone has any clue or even an exact match, please help me!

By the way, as far as I know the chain guard is NOT original to the bike but it is definitely 50s or 60s vintage.

Your definition of it being "old" and mine might differ. The frame looks relatively new (1980s and forward), inexpensive, modern design with high bottom bracket and crudely TIG welded oversize tubing. Certainly the tubular fork is no earlier than 1980s. The headbadge is not original to the bike.

IMHO it's just a generic beach cruiser made in China.

Riding the beach trails here in OC I think that frame is less than 20 years old.
I have 3 sons in their 20s and I have seen frames new shaped like that.
MFGrs are copying the old shape We like.
I saw 1 yesterday covered in Rust on our beach.
Enjoy it~!

Those heavy duty wheels are probably why it's so heavy. Looks like someone slapped a 50's Westfield badge on it. Hey, if it rides well and gets you on 2 wheels it can't be bad. I'd roll that around town til you can pick up something that IS old to tinker with. Btw, welcome to the Cabe.

1980's Columbia made Clipper badged bike. Made in Westfield Mass.
Clipper! That makes so much sense. I was hunting everywhere to find the badge. That was the biggest mystery to me. The age of it doesn’t bug me too much, I was going to buy a brand new Columbia but decided on an older rebuild bike instead. It’s getting fenders, headlights, springer forks, rear Columbia style rack; the works. If I had a fab shop, I’d make some Pee Wee Herman features for it. The style of frame has enough of a vintage style that I’m not too worried about it’s real age. As long as it looks good when it’s done that’s all that matters!

Pretty new, swear I've seen this frame before but just can't find where.
Yeah I can’t find a single image online that matches it perfectly. It shares some design cues with 40s era schwinn, Columbia, Elgin, and others but the frame rail is straight behind the forks, unlike a normal cruiser which is obviously typically curved. It’s kind of got a 30s aesthetic to it without all the bells and whistles. Pretty soon it’ll have those bells and whistles though. The last owner put the bmx bars on it and a seat that keeps flopping to the side when I ride it but those won’t stay.

Thanks to all for your help BTw. I’m going ahead with a 30s-40s look with fenders and all on it. It’s definitely not “old” by bicycle standards but it’s definitely no Firmstrong or Phat cruiser, so in other words I’ll be keeping it longer than a week XD. Anyway, I’ll post progress on the build so keep your eyes on the posts and your hands on the bar

Back