When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this schwinn

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ozzynut2

Finally riding a big boys bike
Just looking for a model for this middle weight Schwinn It is a 1-4-1951 Date it is a middle weight Has S-7 rims. The fork will only fit a middle weight fender and the badge holes are not as far apart as a newer model. The fork and guard are in the pic behind the bike.

IMG_5601.JPG

The 51 serials were under the crank and 6 numbers after the letter, and a balloon. The H and 5 numbers was also used on the drop out in 1953 and a balloon and H0XXXXX again in August 1960 which would be a middleweight. If it's a middleweight and I'm assuming it's an H number matching the 51 date you gave above, this would be a 1960 model. Weird though and can't be because Schwinn quit using the truss tube between the top and down tubes back in the late 50's.
Serial number and location is needed, then figure out if the frame is a balloon frame and the fork was changed out with a middlweight fork along with the wheels. That chain guard was used on the Tornado and Spitfire.

The serial number is on the bottom of the bottom bracket H005047 1-4-1951 It is possible but will have to talk with the owner I though he told me it was his wife's original bike so will try and find out more info.

The 51 serials were under the crank and 6 numbers after the letter, and a balloon. The H and 5 numbers was also used on the drop out in 1953 and a balloon and H0XXXXX again in August 1960 which would be a middleweight. If it's a middleweight and I'm assuming it's an H number matching the 51 date you gave above, this would be a 1960 model. Weird though and can't be because Schwinn quit using the truss tube between the top and down tubes back in the late 50's.
Serial number and location is needed, then figure out if the frame is a balloon frame and the fork was changed out with a middlweight fork along with the wheels. That chain guard was used on the Tornado and Spitfire.

The serial number is on the bottom of the bottom bracket H005047 1-4-1951 It is possible but will have to talk with the owner I though he told me it was his wife's original bike so will try and find out more info.
That chain guard was used on most Jr Schwinns for several years. It was also used on some 26" low priced models with a bracket at end that is longer. There's 3 different sizes of the extended end bracket, to fit 20, 24, and 26" frames. I have it on a Girls 55 24" Corvette which would be a middleweight. These Junior chain guards go back years before that. It's been a long time since I looked but pretty sure you'll find the same pre-war too.

Being your Serial numbers under the bottom bracket then, it's a ballooner, no doubt. Yet, His wife would have to be, like, in her mid 70's or more eh?

Unfortunately, I do not have a badge on little girl However, I also have a boy 1954 24" middleweight and the right badge for it would be same the 24" girl Corvette which both are standard size for 26", for the screw hole distance @ 3-1/8"
I also have a 1954 Jr. Starlet Ballooner that's 24" but it has a deluxe 'Phantom type' chain guard and the badge is the same as on 26" Schwinn ballooners and the screw hole distance is also 3-1/8". These sized hole distances are to fit the standard 3-1/4" oval badges as well as many different ballooner Schwinn badges.

I don't have a comparable Jr. until much later 1981 24" and that's were your claim about being a smaller badge fits in with the much later than the Ballooners. My 1981 Jr's, the screw holes are 2-1/2". And that's the same size badges in the 60's middleweight class. Moreover, I am not sure of the time Schwinn's middleweight badges got smaller, maybe 1959-60? Maybe or actually, if your screw hole distance is not old standard: 3-1/8" then, something screwy (pun) is going on.

The only 'ScrewY part is the smaller badge called 'Winged' it's screw hole is 2-1/2" I have aluminum stamped winged badge, but it's on a 56 racer, a lightweight. I do not know much about these being on any middleweight or ballooner bikes albeit they were made earlier in brass too, for Travelers and other lightweight Schwinn around 1952.. . . . So, 'screwy it would be for a 51 Ballooner or 54+middlewight too approximately 1959, to have that winged badge or any with a smaller 2-1/2" hole distance unless that frame is a 60's middleweight. Wherein, Schwinn was still using the Jr. Chain guard on their 'Value'
bikes.

Last edited:
Guess what just coincidentally popped up today? Fm: @Imsohawthorney

The Winged badge to fit a smaller screw hole distance (2-1/2") is on another old standard Schwinn. The photo is good and clear enough to see there's no other screw holes to fit a standard, larger badge. I.E. it was not limited to lightweight only!

Presto bingo!
16577700422652437785582225538430-jpg.jpg

@

Back