When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this? Vintage lightweight service/upgrade kits?

-

locomotion

Cruisin' on my 1897 Comet
cleaning up old finds that have been packed in the corners of an old pick in 2018
What could this be? What vintage? 70's? 80's?
contains new parts like a seat, seat post, racing clip pedals, cables
Is it an upgrade kit? Repair kit or service kit?
Not very knowledgeable about this kind of vintage racing bike stuff

Any input? Got 2 NOS sets and a third with only seat and seat post in the box

20210103_115935.jpg

20210103_115947.jpg

20210103_120007.jpg

20210103_120011.jpg

20210103_120044.jpg

20210103_120050.jpg

-----

...perchance a mailorder shipment which was never put to use...

...date looks to be ca. 1980...

edit:

...oops, you have two or three of the same thing, must be parts which were shipped with a new bicycle to be assembled

-----

Those SR Laprade seatposts were standard issue on many mid range lightweight Raleigh's back in the early '80s.
My first serious bike had one when I bought it in 1982.
Some of the Kashimax FiveGold stuff is very popular with the NJS track bike collectors and also early BMX guys.
Nice!

Those SR Laprade seatposts were standard issue on many mid range lightweight Raleigh's back in the early '80s.
My first serious bike had one when I bought it in 1982.
Some of the Kashimax FiveGold stuff is very popular with the NJS track bike collectors and also early BMX guys.
Nice!
yes, that saddle looks pretty sweet and comfortable
let me get one unpacked ..... and snap some pictures of the seat

Is it padded or unpadded?
I see it has the NJS mark, meaning it is approved for Japanese Keirin Track racing.
I think Kashimax are/were the only approved saddle suppliers.
I could be interested in one if you want to sell one.
PM me if you're interested in selling one.

Last edited:
I see the cardboard packaging mentions Norco,
They are a bicycle manufacturer from British Columbia, Canada I believe.
Might explain the use of French instructions also.
Could point you in the direction of what bicycles these were originally intended for.

the top is lightly padded under the leather/faux leather top, the sides are not padded
i initially taught, before I unpacked it, that the white padding was part of the seat :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
but it's just protection padding for the packaging :flushed:

the Norco box has nothing to do with it .... just a real popular brand here in Canada
most of the bike boxes that I get to ship bikes out from my local bike shop are Norco

Last edited:
Back