When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Is Your "holy Grail" Krate?

-

bashton

Finally riding a big boys bike
I was thinking about the 20k Apple Krate that has been on and off ebay lately and got to wondering...

What do you consider the "Holy Grail" when it comes to Krates? Sunset 73? Cotton Picker, Grey Ghost or ??

What would you like to find in the basement of that old Schwinn dealer we all dream of?

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member/Home of the "Muscle Bike Show within a Show"
www.mcacn.com

I didn't like them when Schwinn first produced em. Us kids had already built similar or better and Schwinn was just mimicking our trend, Plus! it seemed at the time too, it was the transitional period when Schwinn cut "quality" expenses. Albeit still, was better built then other makers. . So, and but, anyways my holy grail Krate would be the Craig's list find for $50 bucks or less, [grin]

That means one of two things for yawl collectors of em, ya best be able to beat me to the punch or,, one less collective competition, price wise, to worry about as, I've already passed up a few of those black Fridays for $25 bucks. ;)

Last edited:
Jeff54;

As a guy who has one of each year of the Krates, and one or more of the Stingrays from 6-63 to 79, I have to say those Black Friday and the other Repro Krates are great "rider" bikes. Especially when your non bike friends come over and want to take one of your bikes for a spin! lol

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member; Home of the Muscle Bike "Show within a Show"
www.mcacn.com

Last edited:
Not a Krate but a 1966 - 1969 NOS Fastback still in the box. I am still waiting to find one. Probably will never happen but still the "hunt" keeps me going.
Dan

was never a krate fan as a kid.I had several stingrays,and all got stolen at some point.(bad neighborhood) I have a 70 campus green 5 speed fenderless and just sold my 74 5 speed fenderless.
then this was thrown into my lap and I decided to get it and eventually spruce it up as much as possible.April 68 lemon peeler.
IMG_1131.JPG

Back