When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your oldest bicycle?

-
Anything from the 1860's is old enough that it doesn't matter too much if it's roadworthy or not. Are you talking about your velocipede project from France? I'd love to see some more pictures. Just find a blacksmith and a wheelwright and you are almost on the road! I found a local artist blacksmith who did a very nice job on forge welding a crack in my rear fork.

1869 boneshaker project

I'm building a velocipede tricycle. Here's the story so far...

I'm designing one which will look like this.

I'll use it to display my stereoscopes and cycling stereoviews, to illustrate how photography and bicycles evolved together

stereoscopic_views-1.jpg

Here's the parts, still not arrived from France (my friend will deliver it when he comes over to Brighton for the Pioneer Run on 18th March).

colins_vlocipede1-1.jpg

We have a good local wheelwright, who has done velocipede wheels before, and plenty of local antique shops for a Victorian cabinet to sit over the rear wheels.

I bought this velocipede to use as a pattern for parts (wheels, handlebars, spring, moustache, brakes etc) and then I'll resell that one

velocipede1-1.jpg

Here's a trike I know, which I've used as a guide.
Not sure when this one was made, but not 1869.
Trike conversion no damage to velocipede; can be converted back to 2-wheeler

486-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm building a velocipede tricycle. I'm designing one which will look like this.
I'll use it to display my stereoscopes and cycling stereoviews, to illustrate how photography and bicycles evolved together
stereoscopic_views-1.jpg

Just caught up with this thread again. This is fascinating! I'm anxious to see the work progress.

Early 1900s (Never could pin down an exact year) German Rabeneick. Was my oldest. Just sold at a yardsale for $20 :(

080109021-1.jpg
080109030-1.jpg

080109026-1.jpg
080109032-1.jpg

1965ish Murray Missile is my current oldest, just picked it up for my girls for $10 :)
041512008-1.jpg
041512010-1.jpg

My 19?? Hercules!

It's my oldest now, but unknown what the year is on this beauty.....

Attachments

• 3E83I73Jf5E65F75Mad1s4e5f77ac943c1e09.jpg
    3E83I73Jf5E65F75Mad1s4e5f77ac943c1e09.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 177
Back