When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What kind of bike is this?

-

barneyguey

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Thanks for any help. Barry
1555403212455.png

Late 50's-1960's Columbia Westfield. This has a neat frame with incorporated integral rack. There is an early "Newsboy" version of this bike that was more heavy duty and a balloner. More typically found as a middleweight. Looks like yours has a blade fork which is nice. Get the serial and we can figure out the year. Also check tire size and look at the width at the seatstays. Hope you have the balloon version. If you remove all those baskets you'll see what nice lines this frame has.

Late 50's-1960's Columbia Westfield. This has a neat frame with incorporated integral rack. There is an early "Newsboy" version of this bike that was more heavy duty and a balloner. More typically found as a middleweight. Looks like yours has a blade fork which is nice. Get the serial and we can figure out the year. Also check tire size and look at the width at the seatstays. Hope you have the balloon version. If you remove all those baskets you'll see what nice lines this frame has.
It's not my bike. The badge is what I'm interested in. I'm using it as an example of a bike with this badge. I wanted to know what brand it was for that. Thanks for your help. Barry

I have your Rick bicycle in the book.

Looks like a 1963 Columbia Newsboy Special. It looks like that's what it says on the chainguard which is kind of hard to see. Balloon tire. 2 year frame design 63/64. Standard bars came on the 63, box bars on the 64 which makes me think it's a 63.

+1 on @ricobike Columbia Newsboy Special with the "Unitized Frame" design integrating the carrier(rack) into the frame structure. I believe some Columbia Firebolts used this frame as well. @MrColumbia 's former website had the scoop on these along with ad pics(below), but I think that site wasn't revived after it was taken offline. (A real loss to the hobby BTW)
Columbia produced the frame/bike using the "Super Cyclone" private label name as well. (I have one.)
1555448793512.png

1555448826237.png

Last edited:
+1 on @ricobike Columbia Newsboy Special with the "Unitized Frame" design integrating the carrier(rack) into the frame structure. I believe some Columbia Firebolts used this frame as well. @MrColumbia 's former website had the scoop on these along with ad pics(below), but I think that site wasn't revived after it was taken offline. (A real loss to the hobby BTW)
Columbia produced the frame/bike using the "Super Cyclone" private label name as well. (I have one.)
View attachment 981617
View attachment 981619
Thanks for the info, that's cool! Barry

I just went an added that information to the book. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back