When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What kind of campagnolo bottom bracket is this?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

prburns

Look Ma, No Hands!
Not really sure what this is. Clearly a campagnolo bottom bracket set, but I've never seen one with the flanges on the axle. What is it? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_4503.JPG

IMG_4502.JPG

Looks like it could be either English or Italian, (which have different dimensions). Although it was made in Italy, the Italian bottom brackets are somewhat obsolete, and even Italian bicycles may be found with English bottom brackets.

One way to check for English versus Italian, (besides a size marking or measurement), would be to look at the threading directions. I believe that the Italian was right handed on both sides.

So if the threaded cup with the flats (RHS) has right hand threads, then it is likely Italian; left hand threads English.

Looks similar to the early 'Record' type axle with those distinctive "flanges".

Any idea how old? Is the 70 on the axle a date stamp?
No, it refers to bottom bracket shell width of the frame.
The axles come in lengths to suit 65, 68, 70 and 74mm bottom bracket widths.
There is usually another number stamped on that gives overall length of the axle, plus a letter (or two) stamped on also which tells you the intended purpose of the axle.
For example 'P' for Pista (Track), 'S' (or 'SS') for Strada(Road); occasionally there will be a 'C' for Cyclocross.
I see your example seems to just say "70", and nothing else, which suggests it may be Italian or French as British BB's tend to be 68mm.
Here's a guide to axle length that might help you determine what you've got.....
Screenshot_20220115-095016_Chrome.jpg

I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you a date, sorry

No, it refers to bottom bracket shell width of the frame.
The axles come in lengths to suit 65, 68, 70 and 74mm bottom bracket widths.
There is usually another number stamped on that gives overall length of the axle, plus a letter (or two) stamped on also which tells you the intended purpose of the axle.
For example 'P' for Pista (Track), 'S' (or 'SS') for Strada(Road); occasionally there will be a 'C' for Cyclocross.
I see your example seems to just say "70", and nothing else, which suggests it may be Italian or French as British BB's tend to be 68mm.
Here's a guide to axle length that might help you determine what you've got.....
View attachment 1549084

I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you a date, sorry
Thanks. Good info.

Back