When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What length kickstand for Schwinn Speedster?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Skip Montanaro

Look Ma, No Hands!
I've got a Schwinn Speedster (mid-70s) which I converted to 590 wheels several years ago. I use it as an around town bike. During the conversion process I set aside and eventually lost the kickstand. A bit of poking around here gave me some Schwinn part numbers. Is 8331 the correct assembly for my bike? Despite the switch to the slightly smaller diameter rim, I also switched to plumper tires which fill up the original fenders nicely. I doubt the bottom bracket is much lower than original, if it's at all lower.

It may or may not work for the reason you stated. I would guess it would but the only way to know it to try. Roger

Thanks, Roger. Is there a place which matches up the part numbers with the lengths of the sprags (what a curious name)? I couldn't find such a thing. I noticed there is another potential suitable part number as well, 8328.

Also, I should ask... Are these assemblies still available somewhere (eBay, speciality vendor, etc), or do I toss out a post to the wanted forum and see what people here have? Sorry, I've not really had much experience outfitting this bike other than with non-original parts, and most of my vintage bike interests lie elsewhere.)

All the places you listed are possible points of purchase. If you have access to an old time Schwinn dealer/shop they might have them. Roger

I have a box of several dozen Schwinn kickstands. I will see if I can find either of the two numbers you referenced.

The closest I can come is an 8321 which according to my literature is a sprag only for a 26 inch lightweight. It is a used one so is complete with spring, pin and collar, it isn't just the sprag. Photo below.

Back