When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What might this Schwinn Paramount be worth?

-

TimJo

On Training Wheels
I am considering finding a new home for my Schwinn Paramount, circa mid to late 1970s. The Paramount has original Campagnolo handlebars, brake sets, downtube shifters, derailleur, crank and pedals. I bought this bike lightly used in 1979 or 1980 in Gainesville, Florida. At the time, it also had Campagnolo wheels and sew-up tires but those have long since vanished. I cannot give a serial number for the bike since it has been repainted twice, I believe, and the bottom bracket where the serial number goes is covered over. But you can see from the photos that the flanges on the frame are from the Paramount. The Schwinn decals faded away long ago. The bike has been used normally but cherished. Also in most recent repainting, the front metallic Schwinn logo partially detached so I took it off. But you can see it in the photo. I've recently retired and am considering getting a cross-country touring bike to replace the Paramount. Does anyone have an idea of what might be a fair price for this bicycle? I am in the Washington DC area.

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

2019-04-01_13-31-37-0400.jpg

What is the serial number? That will help with an answer. It will be on the left rear drop out. Also that is going to be an expensive bike to fix up. Waterford paint jobs start if the $600 plus range. Roger

The serial number is the key, and Waterford will help (or at least they used to). If it were mine, I would check E-Bay sold prices, not asking prices. It has been repainted and the decals are gone - that will be a serious hit on value.

I see $250 tops. The poor repaints really ate at any provenance of it even being a Paramount almost. The smattering of unoriginal parts sure doesn’t help, either.

I called Waterford and took the bike to an REI workshop to find the serial number on the left rear dropout. We used bright lights and rubbed quite a bit but could not determine the serial number. I'd have to damage the paint to reveal the number. The Waterford guy, however, made me more convinced than ever that this is a legitimate Paramount. I have the Paramount badge from the front. It came with Paramount decals that were scraped so severely that I just had them removed once maybe 15 years ago. The flanges on the frame were never chrome, and the guy at Waterford confirms that between 1978 to 1980 there were models of Paramount that did not have chrome flanges. Waterford guy says that if I had time, I should sell it for parts on eBay. But I am not sure I have that much interest.

HA! $200- Are you trying to steal it? I think maybe the sophistication of Cabe collector opinion is snobbish here. On the other hand there aren't many of us old pharts around to place a value on it and the kids have been dumbed down somehow- I'd at least try for $350 or $400. If you put the head badge on and bought a set of decals, even more. The dilemma is: how much effort do you want to put into it? If you sold it piece by piece on ebay it might clear a grand.....

An older Paramount is never "toasted" if it's not bent up or rusted.

Here's an amusing situation I've thought about writing of on this forum and this might be the place for it.
Apparently- I'm guessing, but fairly sure- my old '74 Paramount track bike has been for sale on ebay the past several months at least- currently ended, but I've seen it relisted several times now- they want WAAAY too much- and even though it has some sentimental value, I probably would not buy it back unless I was flushing dollars down the toilet-
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=123703459136

My parents gave me this bike on my 21st birthday in February 1975- a 22" silver mist paramount that retailed at the time for about $350. Although we had no track then in Indiana for hundreds of miles, and I was mostly a climber I wanted a track bike and convinced I need some track experience. By then I had been racing about four years and though mostly an "A" or "B" category senior rider, I rode a "C" race up at Northbrook that first summer, where I got caught in a huge wreck and trashed the deep steel drop bars that came on it, on a metal rope support, before taking another support in my back. And after that it just sported an alloy stem and alloy drops. I never got a lot of track time, but rode it in the foothills of the Rockies at Colorado Springs on a fixed gear when the snow was so thick it froze our derailleurs. And I rode at Detroit and Encino and once at Trexlertown and at the Olympic Velodrome at Dominguez Hills- where I retired in 1984 and sold the track bike- I knew I'd never lug it through an unsettled life- on consignment at a bike shop in Carson CA near the velodrome- I think for about $250 or 300.

So a couple months ago I came across this ad of the old ride on ebay and in a place hailing from Pasadena. I'm just really calculated guessing that even in a city like L/A. there can''t be that many silver mist track Paramounts that size- although there are changes-

the front fork has been changed- probably crashed- and replaced with one all chrome, with less rake not indigenous to 1974- the wheels also now have flat spokes I never had or used back when- and the aero Campy seatpost is a later item from the early 80's. The hideously drilled out chainring is not the original Campy, but I also often used a Sugino knockoff I won at some race with 168 arms instead of 165 and a smaller ring. I can't recall how it was set up when I sold it 35 years ago. Arc en Ciel sew up rims were fairly heavy and mostly for training or rough road races so I don't think those were on it, although I was street riding it at the end, so who knows? The stem is slightly shorter, but the Alfredo Binda toe straps look very familiar and what I used mostly toward the end, beautiful friends.

Anyway- there it is- I can hardly ride at all anymore without electric assist (hypertension, crashes and beatings) and no room either.
My mother passed on in 2011 but my old man is 94 and will be here Friday passing through. Time flies and life goes on. That black Paramount is probably worth more than $200 but how bad do you need it?
ja24_0004.jpg

Here I am on the Major Taylor Velodrome in Indianapolis at the very first event before they painted lines on the track circa 1980/81

Last edited:
Paramounts were custom built bikes made in the USA of the best materials versus an off the shelf high production bike. Think Yugo versus Rolls Royce. It is LeTour by the way. Roger

Second advice is take the rack off the bike. The serial number is under that on the left side of the bike. Take the paint off that area and you will find the number. The paint is worthless anyway as it is not original. The picture is the serial number of my 1974 P10-9 touring bike. A74149 and translates to A=January 74 means 1974 and 149 means it was the 149th frame that month. Roger
IMG_0815.jpg

Back