When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Model Might This Be?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks all, for your sage advice. I knew there were new/non OEM parts added, but was hoping to narrow down what it might have possibly originally been, as I plan on powder coating the frame, and sourcing out somewhat authentic decals. I intend to use it as a fun rider. It rides really well. Appreciate all that chimed in.

If you post the serial number that would help to narrow down the possible model. Schwinn had many different models over the years that used that frame so if we had the year it was made we could see what models Schwinn offered that year. Only a few did not come with the chrome fork crown and that rear fender bridge. The forks were also dated in the 60's and the crank should also have a cast date. The serial number will be on the left rear drop out above the axle or on the head tube below the badge. At this point, with that chain guard and no chrome fork crown I'm saying it was a Typhoon.

At this point, with that chain guard and no chrome fork crown I'm saying it was a Typhoon.
Just playing devil's advocate here, but we can't base anything certain off of a chainguard or fork crown on a repainted bike. There's no way to tell if the fork or chainguard are even original to that frame. For all we know, the builder could have started with just a bare frame, and sourced parts from a number of places.
If everything was matching original paint, it would be a different story.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but we can't base anything certain off of a chainguard or fork crown on a repainted bike. There's no way to tell if the fork or chainguard are even original to that frame. For all we know, the builder could have started with just a bare frame, and sourced parts from a number of places.
If everything was matching original paint, it would be a different story.

I agree 100% with the devil's advocate! ;) But I like to start at the bottom of the price list with my guesses which is more realistic than the guess saying Corvette or Jaguar. :tongueout:

What ever it is; for Love of Bikes FIX the Unholy Fender Gaps !!!

Man that jus' crawls deep under my skin .... it's 1 thing if it was supposed to have have 28" wheels & you put on 26" 'cause there's an even space between fender All Around but man that's like All Jacked Outta Whack due to the brace lengths:grimacing:

Its not an even space. Look closer. The fender is aftermarket, and may never fit right. I would guess the braces are supposed to go around the axle, as with most aftermarket stuff. It looks like maybe they put the rear one around the axle, and the top one on Schwinn's mounting point on the dropout. Maybe it didn't clear the rack. If it clears the rack, it should be put around the axle. If not, then real Schwinn fender braces are needed, and need to be attached to Schwinn's mounting point. Also the chain should be replaced if worn out or shortened if not worn out, such that the axle lands way up in the front of the dropout where Schwinn put it. That would make it look a lot better.

There's something wrong with the front fender too, but I can't quite tell what.

As for IDing it, as others have posted more details are needed. We will likely never know for sure, but might have a good guess if all the information was present like:

Serial Number
Crank date
Good pics of the chainring. If it had 5 speeds (Corvette?), the chainring would have not been exactly like the other clover chainrings.
A close up of the headset showing which upper and lower cups it has. Especially upper.
A close up of the stem and stem bolts, and also the measurement of the stem diameter where it goes in the hole in the fork tube. This diameter changed in the 60s.
Style of handlebars
Rims. Are they S2 or S7? I am guessing this was originally an S7 bike. They look painted. Were they always or can you see chrome with a tire off? Painted S7 would have come on one of the cheaper models.
Hubs. What brand and type?
Binder bolt and clamp for the seat post.

Chances are all these details, if we could see them, would all point to a similar year and a model or two if all the Schwinn parts (or most of them) came from the same bike. It is also likely they might point to two or 3 different decades and no particular model.

Last edited:
Its not an even space. Look closer. The fender is aftermarket, and may never fit right. I would guess the braces are supposed to go around the axle, as with most aftermarket stuff. It looks like maybe they put the rear one around the axle, and the top one on Schwinn's mounting point on the dropout. Maybe it didn't clear the rack. If it clears the rack, it should be put around the axle. If not, then real Schwinn fender braces are needed, and need to be attached to Schwinn's mounting point. Also the chain should be replaced if worn out or shortened if not worn out, such that the axle lands way up in the front of the dropout where Schwinn put it. That would make it look a lot better.

There's something wrong with the front fender too, but I can't quite tell what.
It's the braces; I can't tell whether or not they're pinched in the forks & rear frame (if they are then U notch them where they are able to clear the frame in that area) If it's just a Nice Budget rider. You can see 2 sets of braces in the rear like this ___| .

After market braces always seem to be too long. Dremel the holes & cut off the excess on the tips

Ah, just go to ePay and take your pick of decals so, it'll be anything U want to call it and, you can fight for the right with anybody who says different. :)

Last edited:
As I’m new to this, and working my way slowly up through the ranks (currently 'Lil Knee Scuffer, which is hysterical), I’m being schooled, and enjoying every moment of it. The fender gap is bothering me, too-it wasn’t apparent when I looked at it in person-probably because I was sighting down on it. The closer I look at it, the more I begin the notice aftermarket bling. Tried to get to the serial #, but it’s either obscured by fender mounts, or heavily painted over. Both the rims and frameset are painted, and poorly, at that-either rattle-canned, or possibly brushed. I intend on ripping it down and having the frame Prismatic powder-coated, as I did with a Columbia Special, that came out beautifully (pic attached). I’m not sure what to do about the rims, which are a badly-painted cream color. Open to any suggestions anyone might offer. Right now it’s a “20/20” bike-looks fine from 20 mph and 20 feet away. This is a brave, new world for me, and I greatly appreciate all your advice. Great forum, and kind folks! 1406533

Back