When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What modern wheels might work on this Shelby?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The 559mm rim is about 22” so with 2.125” tires on both sides gives about 26”.
A skinnier 1.5” (e.g., commuter) tire would also be shorter, so 22” + 1.5” twice might be closer to 25”.
Sometimes it is the chain stay bridge that is a limiting factor, sometimes the seat stay bridge.
I just thought that 559 wheels and tires might be easier to obtain.

The 559mm rim is about 22” so with 2.125” tires on both sides gives about 26”.
A skinnier 1.5” (e.g., commuter) tire would also be shorter, so 22” + 1.5” twice might be closer to 25”.
Sometimes it is the chain stay bridge that is a limiting factor, sometimes the seat stay bridge.
I just thought that 559 wheels and tires might be easier to obtain.
Yes, I have done a quick search and the 559's do seem easy to find. I am going to shop around and see what I can find...hope to have something in the "what bike did you ride today" thread soon 😊...Thank you!

Measuring from the outside edge of the rim will be misleading. No tires ever measured that way. Modern tires like 559 (or 571 or whatever) measure at the bottom of the bead on the tire, so maybe not quite the bottom of the rim, but definitely not the outer edge.

Old single tube tires were usually 1-1/2" wide, and they are round like an inner tube. If they are 1-1/2" wide, they are also about 1-1/2" tall. So, the logical place to measure is at the low spot in the middle of the rim where the tire glues on.

Back