When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What parts am I missing to put this rear expander hub back into service?

-

Fifthcenturycheese

Look Ma, No Hands!
Got this Schwinn rear expander drum brake freewheel unit from a friend and am wondering what it is that I'm missing to put it back into service? Seems nobody over the years has posted or shown an exploded diagram of the parts for one of these units. I think I'm close, just don't know what to look for . Anyone have pictures of one torn apart that shows the parts? I have included a picture of parts o the unit I have currently. So what's missing? Thank you, Mike.

It looks like you’re missing the two little coil springs and the pawls.
There’s also several thin spacers 3884.
It typically takes three of those for the right amount of free play.you’re also missing 3863 and the many ball bearings that make up the freewheel.your best bet, will be to buy another one of these hubs to get the parts to build up one good hub.
Individual parts are next to non existent.
F59BD77E-1328-4AF2-A97D-83C747B48396.jpeg

9BD8B6F1-8336-42D5-BFEA-DDAF6FE1FAD9.jpeg

3E03A86B-9ED3-40E6-A222-BCA4D6954B1D.jpeg

If you get to the point, where your ready to give up, and you’d like to sell the parts you have there, let me know.
I’ll buy them from you.

Last edited:

cyclingday

Thank you for the catalog picture! This gives me a direction, I went back to a 1953 Parts and accessories catalog and was able to make a sensible order to how these go together and what I was missing. I have never owned or worked with one before. Here are the pictures of the parts layout I found ...

Back