When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Rat-Bike did you ride today?

-
Finally, I got a bike that I think is deserving of this thread, most of it a 56 Schwinn Hornet. Also with some additional patina for today’s posts! Not sure about grips and saddle for the future, comments or suggestions are welcomed! Thanks for taking a look.

View attachment 1400048

View attachment 1400049

View attachment 1400053
Sweet ride Ron! My Dirt riding days are over! Lmao! So if it was mine I would take it all apart and wet sand it with 1500. Be super careful around the white details! Then clear coat it! The red on the frame will pop! Clean and polish all the chrome. Find a set of preferably original paint fenders that match or a set of repop chrome fenders. Won’t have to worry about paint match with the chrome fenders. A set of fat frank cream tires on those red alloy wheels. A lucky seven seat post and ride the tires off of it!

Hopefully patina jus' shows it's lived a life time of who knows what, made so many unknown memories & even faux patina still protects it to continue to do so for years to come. Sure it's ratty to some but Anybody with lots of money & or time can Restore to Like New. Never met someone well off putting patina on anything or even faux patina something; unless they were trying to scam somebody for money. The older you get the more you enjoy both aspects of new & well aged in different aspects though
I’ve been clear coating my bikes to stabilize them and keep there original look too!

Nice one Ron, way to roll. Only thing I would change is the seat to one of these persons seats. Then move the messenger over to one of your early 80s cruisers.

View attachment 1400079
View attachment 1400080

with out the tear of course.. but I think a seat like this would fit the bike very well. Heres my old DX, now part of the Lonestar line up in the state of Texas.
Thanks, @hm. and I do like the way that seat looks on the DX - very similar colors.

Reactions: hm.
Sweet ride Ron! My Dirt riding days are over! Lmao! So if it was mine I would take it all apart and wet sand it with 1500. Be super careful around the white details! Then clear coat it! The red on the frame will pop! Clean and polish all the chrome. Find a set of preferably original paint fenders that match or a set of repop chrome fenders. Won’t have to worry about paint match with the chrome fenders. A set of fat frank cream tires on those red alloy wheels. A lucky seven seat post and ride the tires off of it!
Thanks @Porkchop. Would be interesting to see what is beneath the surface of the patina, but being as it’s my first one that has a little dust and dirt built in, I kinda like it a little crusty ;). I do have a set of S2 rims I might try as well.

You can never go wrong with s2’s ! I have s2’s on all my bikes....love em! I’m assuming that you’re in the SF South Bay Area. I’m in the sf east bay and I’ve been doing a ton of old school double pan bike seats lately. So if ya find a seat and need some help getting it done I’d be happy to help you with it. Here’s some of the seats I’ve done.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I’ve been clear coating my bikes to stabilize them and keep there original look too!
I have cleaned up patina parts that I've done that with; Good oL'Satin clear on fenders, chain rings, & some handle bars that were so rusty they have no chrome but show copper. I think they look Good for Rat Rods & Klunkers. No use in throwing them away 'cause there's a bike somewhere they'll match. Lmfao

You can never go wrong with s2’s ! I have s2’s on all my bikes....love em! I’m assuming that you’re in the SF South Bay Area. I’m in the sf east bay and I’ve been doing a ton of old school double pan bike seats lately. So if ya find a seat and need some help getting it done I’d be happy to help you with it. Here’s some of the seats I’ve done.

View attachment 1400145

View attachment 1400147

View attachment 1400148

View attachment 1400149

View attachment 1400150
Nice looking saddles! Now for sure I am on the hunt for one for this bike. BTW my South Bay is just southwest of L.A.

I am doing the 38 Shelby for a good friend but if it were my bike to sell the answer would still be....oh heck no! Lmao! My friend has around 50+bikes and this is his favorite!
I figured as much but hey, a guy's gotta ask cause you just never know until you do.

Back