When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What reflector '46 Schwinn DX

-

bobdenver1961

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a 1946 Schwinn DX that is missing the rear reflector. Anyone know what is the correct one that I need to be looking for?

Thanks.
Bob

This one seemed to be pretty typical for the DX line.
Both pre and postwar bikes seemed to have these type of plastic reflectors.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I have two 1946 original paint Schwinn(s); one a DX; the other a standard step-thru; both came with a reflector that looks like this... Jeweled facets and all; but, neither had any writing or name on it. Across the back at center the measure is 1 17/32". From back face to dome center (face NOT flat) on front is near 1/4" thick. Each reflective dot is near 1/8"; and where any diagonal of the reflective pattern passes thru center there are 8 dots in that row. The reflector was retained by a convex spring clip, rectangular, ~3/8" X 3/4"... not held by a hex-nut. Could not tonight, but will try tomorrow to get photos.

1946 Schwinn reflectors 1.jpg

1946 Schwinn reflectors 2.jpg

You asked for 'correct'; these came on a 1946 ACE girls bike and a 1946 Peoria King DX boys bike. The Gulatta pictured above is 1 11/16" diameter; slightly larger than these, about 1/8" diameter... see post #3. (Both of these bikes were Chicago Schwinn builds).

Back