When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What say you? Has this Hobby gone mainstream?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Has this Hobby gone MainStream and gotten too $$$$$???

• Just stayed current with the economy?

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Has gotten out of hand $$$$ ??

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Stayed steady?

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Has gotten more affordable?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care?

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jkent

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Just a thought, but in my opinion, this Hobby has gone south in just the last few years. Not so much the people or the quality but the quantity and the cost.
As bikes get harder to find the price has gone through the roof.
$850 for a pair of pedals
$15K-$20K for an upper scale bicycle
$500 fairly common stem
$1,000 Common Schwinn
$500 sliding rail Messinger seat
I could go on and on, but I don't think I'm the only one that has noticed this. Hence the poll. I'm curious if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.
I understand that these bikes are getting harder to find and the economy is doing well right now. But I don't think that is what is driving the prices so high.
It has gotten too expensive for me to enjoy anymore. With the rise of the internet, smartphones, and cable television shows that are focused on bringing back the past, there is no such thing as a good deal anymore. Everyone has the answer to what it's worth at the touch of a finger and in their pocket and at all times.
Your comments are welcome, You're not going to offend me. I hope I have not offended anyone either. I am not picking on anyone for pricing purposes and I have not mentioned any names. It's not just a Cabe issue, It's the entire hobby, eBay, Craigslist, even auctions and here as well.
So I'm not saying it's just a Cabe issue.
This is the first time I have ever done a Poll so I hope I did it right.
Your vote is very much appreciated.
Thanks, JKent

I think you hit a few of the reasons and I'll add that the former fixie hipsters may be moving into collectibles, younger generation seems to have a renewed interest in bikes, and the absolute ridiculousness of the automotive and motorcycle collectibles market leaves the poorer people out or looking for alternatives, which drops them into bicycles. I'm not a collector, I'm a builder, but similarly, I largely build bikes because I can't afford to build my own cars (and there are too many idiots out there waiting to crash into them).

I think there are a few that "come in hot" as in any hobby & others who need that one item to finish off there bicycle will pay big when they see the item they want - cost is not an issue to them - Every hobby has it's highs & lows - New people in any hobby have more money than sense sometimes - Go to an auction & you'll see people pay more than face value on most items sold - plus fees

Some people buy items to show off or impress others - then they get back out when they realize that they overpaid & they don't get the attention they're seeking -

There are also collectors who ride & other collectors who squirrel - hunt - gather & hide & those who are in it for the money only - There are some crazy prices out there - but there are also some decent fair deals to be had too - patience & perseverance is the key - The cost of everything goes up - that's just reality - Overpriced items are a small percentage of what is out there & price is set by what someone is willing to pay on anything in the World

I just buy what catches my eye & if the price makes sense to me then I will consider the purchase so I can enjoy the bicycle along the beach or on one of the many rides I do - what I am into makes sense to me & I will keep it around as long as I can enjoy it - not real worried about trends & others - just my 2 cents ..RIDDEN not HIDDEN - Frank

Last edited:
I started collecting bikes because I enjoyed repairing, and then riding them......haven't bought a vintage bike in a couple of years, prices are out of hand

All about supply and demand. More people in the hobby is good thing. You want kids to get into it, it keeps the interest going. We all should be honored that others are learning to respect and enjoy old bicycles. The parts channel is drying up and demanding more money because of scarcity and I do think the economy is getting better, which gives people more disposable cash. But it makes me appreciate more, what I do have and can afford. Also makes those Delta mouse's in your display case more valuable on the up side. On the down side you might have to sell me one to afford something else !

Last edited:
Just a thought, but in my opinion, this Hobby has gone south in just the last few years. Not so much the people or the quality but the quantity and the cost.
As bikes get harder to find the price has gone through the roof.
$850 for a pair of pedals
$15K-$20K for an upper scale bicycle
$500 fairly common stem
$1,000 Common Schwinn
$500 sliding rail Messinger seat
I could go on and on, but I don't think I'm the only one that has noticed this. Hence the poll. I'm curious if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.
I understand that these bikes are getting harder to find and the economy is doing well right now. But I don't think that is what is driving the prices so high.
It has gotten too expensive for me to enjoy anymore. With the rise of the internet, smartphones, and cable television shows that are focused on bringing back the past, there is no such thing as a good deal anymore. Everyone has the answer to what it's worth at the touch of a finger and in their pocket and at all times.
Your comments are welcome, You're not going to offend me. I hope I have not offended anyone either. I am not picking on anyone for pricing purposes and I have not mentioned any names. It's not just a Cabe issue, It's the entire hobby, eBay, Craigslist, even auctions and here as well.
So I'm not saying it's just a Cabe issue.
This is the first time I have ever done a Poll so I hope I did it right.
Your vote is very much appreciated.
Thanks, JKent
If you feel like it's a seller's market maybe it's time to sell off some of you're collection

You know, I've been thinking the same thing. Some prices are fair while some just throw number out there see if anyone bites. I've made several pretty good purchases over the last few weeks. But, I recently saw a frankenbike (lots of incorrect parts) price for more than an all origional decked out bike that was recently for sale (same make bike). Also, I understand shipping takes time and money, but I just recently saw an ad where the seller was charging $25.00 to ship a headbadge. The part is expensive, why the gouging on shipping a 2X3" 1 ounce part. Problem is, only a few swaps each year (where deals abound)!

I usually barter the price, I've overheard two vendors badmouthing customers for always wanting a deal....well DUH! Like pickers and sellers don't look for the best deal? Overall, No one forces me to buy anything, when I make an offer, it's based on what I think is fair. If we come to a deal, great...if not, oh well! It's just supposed to be fun..

Just sayin'

Bart

Last edited:
It depends entirely on the segment of old bikes your examining.The majority of "old bikes" changing hands are basic, old three, five and ten speeds from the 1960s-80s. They sell for pretty cheap, get a new set of tires maybe, and then people ride them. I guess prices have crept up a little on these, but it's not very expensive still . For every old balloon tire bike I see, I see probably 30 basic old utility or ten speed bikes that have been mildly upgraded and that are being used as commuters because it's still not an expensive hobby.

A few segments have exploded in value as pure collector items - BMX being the latest example. It follows the demographic of people aging and wanting nostalgia pieces. Years ago it was people with balloon tire bikes who had them as kids, then people who had Krates, and recently people with old school BMX or mountain bikes. This very high end is also not big compared to the very casual collector who owns perhaps one old bike with a few upgrades and rides it around.

My bit of speculation is that the balloon tire bike segment will have a modest general decline in value with the passing of the generations who had them as kids. There will not be enough younger people willing to pay the big bucks for them (they're busy paying off student loans and, if they're lucky, spending on later items that they had as kids). There will always be some value there as artistic, well-made bikes, but I think values will actually drop somewhat eventually.

If I had to wager on an "undervalued" market segment, it would be the solid, well-made Japanese road, mountain, and hybrid bikes from the 1970s-80s. I'm not talking the top-end exotic stuff, I'm talking the low to mid range stuff that was just solid and well-made.

Back