When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What say you? Has this Hobby gone mainstream?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Has this Hobby gone MainStream and gotten too $$$$$???

• Just stayed current with the economy?

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Has gotten out of hand $$$$ ??

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Stayed steady?

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Has gotten more affordable?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care?

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In my opinion, the hobby has been way overinflated in the last 5-10 years. It's a supply demand thing. Most of us collectors bought and sold mediocre bikes back in the day to afford what we have now in our collections and are done flipping bikes. Whatever I buy now, I keep. Unless I'm simply tired of looking at it for some strange reason or if it rides like crap, its gotta go. So what happens is that most of the great bikes are already snatched up sitting in collections being ridden not hidden on a rotation basis. So for the newbie to find a clean bike is very tough. Most that have popped up lately are rusty tank bikes that guys upgraded from. If a clean bike pops up, the price is high. Plain and simple. I hate to say it but the bubble will burst in the next 10 years or so. Older collectors will no longer be around and us next generation guys will have the opportunity to buy their collections at auction or an estate sale and be the next care taker and we will be forced to sell what we thought was a high end bike ($2-3k bike) in our collection to replace with that uber rare next level ( $5-10k) bike. So at that point the newbies will have their chance. Until then, the pickens are slim and most of us aren't willing to give up what we have unless you want to step way up, driving the price WAY UP.

Parts prices... that's a whole nuther argument I have the part sitting here in my display case from a parted out bike, how bad do you need it...... $$$$$$$$. I want to be clear I wasnt referring to myself. I dont part out bikes...

There are still deals though - just bought a Chain for 25 and it was shipped within 2 hrs - WHAT!!!!!!! Nice job STL TED!

BART

Last edited:
Hard to pinpoint. I think it's like old cars, all the really cool stuff has been bought up. Bicycles are starting down that road. I didn't have a love affair with bikes when I was a kid. I got a mountain bike to train on for motocross. I soon left moto behind and started a business building high end wheels. I went to a mountain bike event and a guy had a old American Flyer fixed up board track style. The hook was set.

It will go one of two ways. It will be where only those with disposable income will be able to afford. Or it will stay like it is right now. Right now there are still deals out there to be had. We'll alway have folks who think old means $$$. Those folks are not in the "know". We'll always have someone needing to unload all or part of their collection for various reasons, need money, pissed significant other, omg I can't fit another bike in my garage.

Do I think prices have gone up recently? Hell yes! $500 for a Schwinn straight bar tank, come on. We all have the passion. Some make money, some spend money. Anyone who thinks they'll get rich, well good luck with that. Me I love bikes, from rusty steel to super light carbon fiber, I love em all.

Back