When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What side of sprocket faces out on ND Model D hub?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

srfndoc

Wore out three sets of tires already!
While looking thru various model D hubs I have sitting around I noticed that a few had a different side of the sprocket facing out (these are all 10t skiptooth sprockets). Here the ridge side is facing out where the lock ring seats:

Here it’s the opposite with the ridge on the inside and the lock ring just snug against the non-ridge side:

So what is the correct orientation? I’ve looked at a bunch of model d’s and it seems either way is used (and seems to function) but there must be a correct side. I’m guessing it’s the side with the ridge facing out.

Thanks

Witch ever gives you the best chain line. I’ve had bikes that it works best installed one way and bikes where the opposite way works best.
You will also find cogs with zero offset as well.

No side wear on the teeth. That’s the goal.

That does make sense. I actually have a blinged out 10t sprocket that has the same ridge on both sides:

Back