When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What? Swastika stamped under the crank

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Flat Tire

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I've had this frame hanging on the wall for a few years. Got it down today and was cleaning the area where the serial number is and wow....3 different numbers and a swastika...never heard of such a thing...anyone?

Heres the numbers, very crude stamping except the J-2 stamp.. 2531.....then the small J-2...and further down - 1574
No chain adjustment
Holes on the neck are horizontal

EBAY020.gif

EBAY007-1.gif

The swastika was used by many cultures for 100's of years most notedly the Nazi party. American Indians used it as a peace symbol but stopped when they realized the Nazi affiliation. The Indian Motorcycle Co. (Hendee) also used it but stopped under pressure from the US government. Now I am not saying that your frame is an Indian but just an observation.

Yea I've been searching the web but havent found anything that hints to who made this frame. Found some old US postcards from 1907-10 that had swastikas for good luck...I think this frame pre-dates the nazi movement, just wonder if it was American made. Theres an Emblem bicycle on Nostalgic.net with swastikas on the grips.

The numbers look hand-written to me. Was it a common practice at the turn of the last century to hand-write rather than stamp serial numbers? Or could this be an ID number put on by a previous owner?

David King

Duh, obviously that is Hitlers original fixie! Well known fact Hitler was a fixie riding hipster snob. lol

swastika

They do seem to show up in the most unusual places. I have an old petcock valve with one on it and the old building where the WWII soldiers returned from war to have a celebration dance in has it in pressed steel all around the room. Imagine their thoughts. JO BO

Well I figure maybe someone put in on there for good luck.....found this about some early swstikas ----"The Swastika Surfboard Company of Los Angeles enjoyed good business in the 1920s, and the Coca-Cola company issued a 'lucky keyring' in the shape of a swastika."""

I also read that most religions used the swastika at one time or another, so the frame is probably a race bicycle, with the swastika for good luck, raced by Major Taylor, since he was very religious.....lol

Back