What the??? Bicycle Anomalies...Let's see them!

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

saladshooter

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Nov 30, 2014
Littleton, CO
Here's one for you. When I saw this picture on my wife's Facebook account.. I assumed the defender taillight was added. 6 months later I was lucky enough to purchase this killer bike. Well, no way Jose! No doubt, this bike left the factory with this OEM enameled black defender taillight on a fender specifically designed to mount to. The anomoly is it's not catalog correct and how many times have you seen a bike equipped with TWO lit taillights from the factory??
Chad
Screenshot_20181113-111617_2.png

IMG_20190508_193743.jpg

IMG_20190508_193731.jpg

IMG_20190508_193722.jpg

IMG_20190508_193408.jpg

IMG_20190507_170344.jpg

IMG_20190527_130527.jpg

IMG_20190527_125938.jpg

IMG_20190527_155341~2.jpg

Last edited:

KingSized HD

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Feb 23, 2013
Herndon, CA, United States

Restarting an old thread @fordmike65 . This bike is very original but the anomalies are the painted fender braces, Elgin truss rod assembly and the Torrington art deco style stem. I believe it was built as Schwinn was transitioning into some pre-wartime non-bike production in latter 1941. The bike has a Morrow hub stamped K2 which I believe is second quarter of 1941. The crank is dated 1941. The bike has an LBBL (Long Beach?)1942 bicycle license.(It was bought on the California central coast).
The painted braces seem to be seen on wartime bikes as chrome/cadmium pieces were prohibited or becoming scarce. I also am guessing that Schwinn may have run out of their own proprietary chrome truss rods and bought some from Sear's Elgin manufacturer since they were located nearby. I'm not sure about the stem as Torrington was located on the east coast but people report they are seen on a lot of 1941 Schwinns.

I've considered swapping out the truss rods for Schwinn prewars and the stem for the more standard Wald #7 but I think the odd parts tell an interesting story, so I think I've decided to keep them.

fordmike65

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial
Mar 4, 2012
East Los
I've seen several other '41 DX's with that same Rollfast "Swan" deco stem, but my guess would be it was born sans trussrods, especially being a lower model. I'm betting someone added them at some point. I could be wrong....

Last edited:

KingSized HD

Feb 23, 2013
I've seen several other '41 DX's with that same Rollfast "Swam" deco stem, but my guess would be it was born sans trussrods, especially being a lower model. I'm betting someone added them at some point. I could be wrong....
"lower model"?!?? Watcha talkin 'bout Willis!! Ha, I was going to agree Mike, then I looked up the '41 catalog, it looks like truss rods were stock on the DX:

I see the stem is different than mine, but I think I'm wrong naming the Wald #7 as the original which has the nut on top, not underneath.

fordmike65

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial
Mar 4, 2012
East Los
"lower model"?!?? Watcha talkin 'bout Willis!! Ha, I was going to agree Mike, then I looked up the '41 catalog, it looks like truss rods were stock on the DX:

1941 Schwinn DX ad.JPG

I see the stem is different than mine, but I think I'm wrong naming the Wald #7 as the original which has the nut on top, not underneath.
@Schwinn499

'41
1579210070685.png

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinBrick
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Schwinn499

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 9, 2011
Monrovia, CA, United States
I can concur with seeing them on others as well. This one didnt fit the steerer tube correctly, had a wobble, hence the change.

Reactions: fordmike65

KingSized HD

Feb 23, 2013
OK, I just have some replacement Elgin truss bars I guess....and I was hoping I had an anomaly!!:cry:
But I'll make sure my NEXT bike has an anomaly, darn straight. And not just some 'run of the mill' anomaly. People are going to gasp, and point, and shout out ANOMALY!! ANOMALY!! when the bike passes them. It'll be something they talk about over beers after Long Beach rides for years to come. :smirk:

TieDye

I live for the CABE
Aug 24, 2015
Henderson, MI, United States
I know that factory errors do occur in manufacturing. I have played guitar for over 49 1/2 years. I've owned thousands of new and used guitars and basses. Last year Fender came out with an American made Performer Stratocaster HSS. According to Fender catalog and online offerings, if you wanted a black one you could only get it with a maple fingerboard and not rosewood. Well, I went to my favorite music store, Elderly Instruments in Lansing Michigan because I wanted to reward myself for the 2 year anniversary of being breast cancer free. I saw this new Performer Stratocaster (shown in the blue tie dye chair, and if you look close at the sticker, you can confirm the model) and I fell in love with it. I went to Fender's site on my phone to check the specs, and I about fell over. It was a very rare factory mistake!! The picture here with the maple fingerboard is the ONLY way you can get this model in black. Unless you hit the jackpot like I did. What a huge blessing for me to celebrate with!!
So, I know mistakes in factory manufacturing do occur. Also of consideration is that maybe they were out of certain parts, so they substituted others to get the order filled. They may have been using up old parts too.
Just my thoughts.

20190612_205913.jpg

20190606_200313.jpg

Screenshot_20200118-190322.jpg

This ad goes away when you register for an account!