When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the??? Bicycle Anomalies...Let's see them!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Found this 24" schwinn excelsior badged motobike. Hard rubber tires, and the morrow hub dates it to '33. I can't find info on schwinn motobikes smaller than the 26".
20190330_125905.jpg

Here's one for you. When I saw this picture on my wife's Facebook account.. I assumed the defender taillight was added. 6 months later I was lucky enough to purchase this killer bike. Well, no way Jose! No doubt, this bike left the factory with this OEM enameled black defender taillight on a fender specifically designed to mount to. The anomoly is it's not catalog correct and how many times have you seen a bike equipped with TWO lit taillights from the factory??
Chad
Screenshot_20181113-111617_2.png

IMG_20190508_193743.jpg

IMG_20190508_193731.jpg

IMG_20190508_193722.jpg

IMG_20190508_193408.jpg

IMG_20190507_170344.jpg

IMG_20190527_130527.jpg

IMG_20190527_125938.jpg

IMG_20190527_155341~2.jpg

Last edited:

Restarting an old thread @fordmike65 . This bike is very original but the anomalies are the painted fender braces, Elgin truss rod assembly and the Torrington art deco style stem. I believe it was built as Schwinn was transitioning into some pre-wartime non-bike production in latter 1941. The bike has a Morrow hub stamped K2 which I believe is second quarter of 1941. The crank is dated 1941. The bike has an LBBL (Long Beach?)1942 bicycle license.(It was bought on the California central coast).
The painted braces seem to be seen on wartime bikes as chrome/cadmium pieces were prohibited or becoming scarce. I also am guessing that Schwinn may have run out of their own proprietary chrome truss rods and bought some from Sear's Elgin manufacturer since they were located nearby. I'm not sure about the stem as Torrington was located on the east coast but people report they are seen on a lot of 1941 Schwinns.

I've considered swapping out the truss rods for Schwinn prewars and the stem for the more standard Wald #7 but I think the odd parts tell an interesting story, so I think I've decided to keep them.

I've seen several other '41 DX's with that same Rollfast "Swam" deco stem, but my guess would be it was born sans trussrods, especially being a lower model. I'm betting someone added them at some point. I could be wrong....

"lower model"?!?? Watcha talkin 'bout Willis!! Ha, I was going to agree Mike, then I looked up the '41 catalog, it looks like truss rods were stock on the DX:

I see the stem is different than mine, but I think I'm wrong naming the Wald #7 as the original which has the nut on top, not underneath.

"lower model"?!?? Watcha talkin 'bout Willis!! Ha, I was going to agree Mike, then I looked up the '41 catalog, it looks like truss rods were stock on the DX:

View attachment 1124718

I see the stem is different than mine, but I think I'm wrong naming the Wald #7 as the original which has the nut on top, not underneath.
@Schwinn499

'41
1579210070685.png

Last edited:
Back