When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What tire size is used on a 1992 schwinn voyageur?

-

tomtr6

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello all - I have a nice 1992 SCHWINN VOYAGEUR I bought new back then. Looking to buy new tires. I can't make out if the size on the old ones is 27x1 1/8, or 27x 1 1/4. I tend to think it is 29 x 1/8. The rims are branded "AVARA 27 X 1 1/4 JAPAN". They are beautiful aluminum. On the existing tire it also says "to fit K2 type rim". Also, now that im older would a wider tire fit (27x 1 1/4)? Thanks for any help.

Yes, get the 27" x 1-1/4" tires. You can get black ones or even colored ones, red, blue, yellow and such. The gumwall ones suck in my opinion.

In my opinion there is no reason for using a 1-1/8" tire just for pleasure riding. You're not going to be shooting for a land speed record.

a rim marked 27 X 1 1/4 can take a larger tire, though 27" wheels haven't been standard on bikes for quite a while and selection may be limited.

look at your average 26" mountain bike rims, they are skinny yet take big fat tires.

Back