• Please take a moment to read the new post TRADING SAFETY. It contains important information for those who use the classified ads for buying and selling.

What to buy next?

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Grumpy Grampy

Finally riding a big boys bike
I plan to hit all the local thrift stores, antique malls and flea markets this week. If I find something I think is cool you can bet I will post pics here before buying again. But what would be a good entry level bike to look for and what would you spend for one? It must be older than me. I'm 50. Since I already have a 1958 Columbia I want to find something older. Really want one from the WW2 period. Doesn't have to be military and I prefer a girl's bike. ( Bad experience as a child with the chain coming off while standing up on the pedals. Scarred for life. Have not ride a boys bike since 6th grade. Y'all can guess what happened. I'm sure it has happened to everyone at some point.

Grumpy Grampy

Wonder why they are cheaper? If you ever slammed your boys on the top bar, why not ride a girl's. At least you have a chance to catch yourself before impact with the bar. And if you do hit the bar chances are you hurt a good bit else and won't be so focused on your reproductive future.

Nashman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
With all due respect, if you are 50, planning on kids? I'd risk a boys/men's bike, just buy a good chain. Noone likes to hit the jewels, but it's part of getting up in the morning. Risk,...risk...risk. I had a serious m/c accident back in the 80's, groin hit the tank, bruised up to my inner legs right up to the equipment. Had 2 kids after. (tested said "equipment" after the accident with G/F then became Wife)

ricobike

Wore out three sets of tires already!
With all due respect, if you are 50, planning on kids? I'd risk a boys/men's bike, just buy a good chain. Noone likes to hit the jewels, but it's part of getting up in the morning. Risk,...risk...risk. I had a serious m/c accident back in the 80's, groin hit the tank, bruised up to my inner legs right up to the equipment. Had 2 kids after. (tested said "equipment" after the accident with G/F then became Wife)
Sounds like you tested it two too many times :-D.

mrg

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Most people here buy a bike for what is, how it looks and to ride, something you had or didn't have ( or in my case didn't want to get caught dead on ) when you were a kid. girls bikes are cheap because so many around ( as said they didn't get trashed except by big brother ) and not many female collectors. you might want to look over the for sale section here for a nice boys ( or girls ) bike. Good Luck

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
I spent about $300 on reference books and a few months of research before I bought my first bike. Knowing what right looks like saves a lot of money! V/r Shawn

vincev

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Good luck on your search.Usually the places you are searching have been searched many times and the bikes are usually not really desirable. Much easier to find a girls bike though. I would probably look at flea markets as my first choice.ENJOY THE SEARCH !

Nashman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I spent about $300 on reference books and a few months of research before I bought my first bike. Knowing what right looks like saves a lot of money! V/r Shawn
Reaching out to Cabe members or searching old threads is good too. I have many books,( from the 80's and some newer) but this new age of instant info at a click ( internet and sites like the Cabe, Dave's site) is rewarding.

Billythekid

My advise don’t look for a particular bike go to all the places you listed and if you see a bike you really like if It gets you excited and you can afford it then buy it and be happy with it and don’t care what anyone says

Billythekid

Sometimes if you take the time to post about the bike someone else will come up and buy it ask around we have all done it you can’t make up your mind some one else will make it up for your and you might regret it just saying

bricycle

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
have this: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/f...truss-overman-wheel-co-long-wheelbase.142168/
and yellow& purple Mead Ranger truss bike:

Balloonoob

I live for the CABE
I spent about 5 months staring at old bikes on the cabe before I bought my first old bike. Get something you know you will still think is cool 5 years from now. Just in the first 5 pages of a complete bikes for sale section I saw three cool looking and downright affordable ladies bikes sell in the last month. A blue rollfast in incredible shape, a reverse paint Shelby, and a Colson with the dropstand rack and turkey leg chainguard. All 3 were well equipped. These ladies bikes show up often and can be had at great bargains. Plus if you buy one and ride it there is one less complete ladies bike that gets torn apart and sold out so that boys bikes get needed parts. I would keep your eyes open here on the cabe for a prewar bargain. The vast majority of folks here aren't going to rip you off. Here's the coolest one available I see for sale listed recently. Good luck and have fun! https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/western-flyer-springer-ballooner.184789/#post-1248743