When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to buy next?

-

Grumpy Grampy

Finally riding a big boys bike
I plan to hit all the local thrift stores, antique malls and flea markets this week. If I find something I think is cool you can bet I will post pics here before buying again. But what would be a good entry level bike to look for and what would you spend for one? It must be older than me. I'm 50. Since I already have a 1958 Columbia I want to find something older. Really want one from the WW2 period. Doesn't have to be military and I prefer a girl's bike. ( Bad experience as a child with the chain coming off while standing up on the pedals. Scarred for life. Have not ride a boys bike since 6th grade. Y'all can guess what happened. I'm sure it has happened to everyone at some point.

Well that's an advantage then. Girls bikes are cheaper, easier to find, and tend to be in a lot better shape.

Wonder why they are cheaper? If you ever slammed your boys on the top bar, why not ride a girl's. At least you have a chance to catch yourself before impact with the bar. And if you do hit the bar chances are you hurt a good bit else and won't be so focused on your reproductive future.

Boys tended to customize their bikes and tear them up a bit. Girls didnt usually do that. Thats why a complete and not messed with boys bike is rarer than a girls bike and usually more expensive.

With all due respect, if you are 50, planning on kids? I'd risk a boys/men's bike, just buy a good chain. Noone likes to hit the jewels, but it's part of getting up in the morning. Risk,...risk...risk. I had a serious m/c accident back in the 80's, groin hit the tank, bruised up to my inner legs right up to the equipment. Had 2 kids after. (tested said "equipment" after the accident with G/F then became Wife)

With all due respect, if you are 50, planning on kids? I'd risk a boys/men's bike, just buy a good chain. Noone likes to hit the jewels, but it's part of getting up in the morning. Risk,...risk...risk. I had a serious m/c accident back in the 80's, groin hit the tank, bruised up to my inner legs right up to the equipment. Had 2 kids after. (tested said "equipment" after the accident with G/F then became Wife)
Sounds like you tested it two too many times :-D.

Most people here buy a bike for what is, how it looks and to ride, something you had or didn't have ( or in my case didn't want to get caught dead on ) when you were a kid. girls bikes are cheap because so many around ( as said they didn't get trashed except by big brother ) and not many female collectors. you might want to look over the for sale section here for a nice boys ( or girls ) bike. Good Luck

Back