When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do to make Floating Hub ride smooth

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

popawheelie

Finally riding a big boys bike
I've got a Stewart-Warner Floating Hub which I have cleaned meticulously, repacked with grease and put back together. It rides as if there were no grease in it at all. The Bearings look good, but the races are a little fishy. I can't afford to send the hub to a machinist to have them perfectly shaped, so what other thing should I do?
I've bought two other Floating hubs on peoples' suggestions, and they all have the same grinding/rough-riding problem.
Temptation says to use a round grinding head on a die grinder……..but doing it by hand just can't be good enough…..right??
Has anyone fixed this problem with their own Floating Hub?
Mike Siddons

I have 4 of these hubs same only one has good races. I believe they are of poor quality and without regular maintenance, they pit. Just ride as I do until some one repops them. A lot of noisy Floaters out there...

I am glad I saw your thread. I almost made the mistake of buying one. Given the fact they are expensive to buy I would hate to have one ride worse than what I currently have. I didn't know this was a common problem.

I have heard of people packing the cups with valve grinding compound instead of grease and riding until the cups are smooth. I have never tried it...

Back