When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do with this Apple Krate chain guard?

-
Decal on. This bike project is complete for now. Will keep my eyes out for the correct red grips.

Question, I've noticed the front atom drum brake does not "grab"as much as I think it should. I tightened the cable with the lever in "rest" position to a point just before the brake shoe starts to grab the drum. However, when I compress the brake lever all the way, there is no where near the stopping power that I get with the rear caliper brake. Is this normal, or is something either wrong or worn out? Am I missing something in the adjustment?

Thanks!

Used Dupli-Color metalcast red with Dupli-Color adhesion promoter to pain the chain guard. I think it turned out decent. The match looks better in the shade than bright sunlight. One week for full cure of the paint according to the can, so will put the decal from bicycle bones on next weekend. If the paint on the frame were shinier, I think it would be closer to the chainguard. Is there a good wax or other product for shining up the paint a bit?

View attachment 1648234
The DupliColor paint is very close to matching Flamboyant Red. I painted a frame and it was a nice match for the paint left on the original fork that was on the hidden part of the fork.
Chainguard should be painted with adhesion promoter, then silver base coat, then the Metalcast. That would knock down that shade difference. I figured that out after the fact as well.
Decals are acceptable, I am sure you could paint it yourself and send it to be silkscreened if that is your choice. It would look more original, although BicycleBones has some nice decals for the Schwinns.
He is a member here.

Back