When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do with this Apple Krate chain guard?

-
Any type of automotive paint stripper will do it, or xylene works if the paint is fairly fresh. Lacquer thinner will also do it.

I did a lot of testing with this Metalcast years ago and posted all my testing on the Schwinnbikeforum years ago. I had an example of the Blue shot over chrome and that creates the anodized look. The Metalcast silver base paint is a big metallic paint, so that wasn't close either but it sure looked great for a custom.

Here's a couple decent shots of the silver base on my 63's after the rain washed the color coat off.

Lime Paint 001.JPG

Lime Paint 002.JPG

By the way, here's a shot of the bike in full sun. You can see the difference in the chain guard color. I thought maybe I had put one coat too many on?

Thanks for the picture. I'm wondering if this Dupli-Color "metallic" base paint would work?

View attachment 1648308

No that will not work for matching the Schwinn aluminum base. I mentioned that above but it does look really cool for a custom paint job. No metallic, a flat aluminum color is what you want. Here's one of my last tests for a good aluminum base coat. I first use this paint at work and really liked how it sprayed, looked and dried. Shot a sample with it, a little less than 10 minutes later I shot a light coat of Metal cast over it. A few minutes later I shot a second wet coat and this is the final finish.

The base was VHT's Flat Aluminum.

Blue Paint Match 001.JPG

No that will not work for matching the Schwinn aluminum base. I mentioned that above but it does look really cool for a custom paint job. No metallic, a flat aluminum color is what you want. Here's one of my last tests for a good aluminum base coat. I first use this paint at work and really liked how it sprayed, looked and dried. Shot a sample with it, a little less than 10 minutes later I shot a light coat of Metal cast over it. A few minutes later I shot a second wet coat and this is the final finish.

The base was VHT's Flat Aluminum.

View attachment 1648353
OK, sounds good will give that a try.

Kudos to GT! Stripped off my paint job. Acetone worked well and very fast to strip off the paint. Masked the guard again and then followed your instructions with VHT flat aluminum base then the metalcast. Excellent results IMHO for paint match in both full sun and shade. Will wait until next weekend to put the water slide decal on so that the paint has time to fully cure.

Thanks again!!

Oh, I like that aged ‘63 Flamboyant Lime Survivor just as is with the Aluminum coat showing through.

Is this Lime going to be preserved this way?

There are actually two of these, a his and hers. Both came from the family of the original owners and both were in good shape but evidently they were stored outside in the Arizona sun and had a bad case of sun burn....out. The paint was a little dull when I picked them up and I planned on cleaning them up. I had them covered and a storm hit. The cover was blown off and then they were rain washed. Both have lots of paint that was literally washed off by the rain. Now I'm not sure what the plans are for the two.

Back