When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do with this?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

DaveZ

Look Ma, No Hands!
A friend of mine was given this form the town dump folks. It is a Schwinn New World SN H63906 making it, I believe, a 1941. I think it originally had the Sturmey Archer 3 speed because it has the sheave on it still and I can see where the shifter was, paint is somewhat darker. His question is fix it all up, paint etc or just clean it and put some sort of clear finish over it?

41Schwinn 1.jpg

41Schwinn 2.jpg

41Schwinn 3.jpg

I'd say that paint is not going to clean up very well.. if I had a bike like that I would take a wire wheel to all the chrome that is now rust. I like bare metal over rust and crust.

I'd like to get something older like that some day to replace my 1960 Speedster

Do not clear. It looks unnatural, and ruins any further attempt to preserve what's there. Like @49autocycledeluxe said, the paint isn't going to come back, at least on the fenders and guard. Frame might surprise you, however. The beauty of a good cleaning (0000 steel wool and WD40 or OA bath) is that you can always take it down to bare metal later. Once cleaned, the boiled linseed oil ($8-ish at the big box home stores for a quart) looks so good, and is so easy to apply. Please keep us updated.

Back