When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to use to clean old dried tar/oil on chrome?

-
Atencioee:
Is that a chromed steel rim? It kinda looks like aluminum alloy. If so, best way to clean is with Scotch-Bright sponge and detergent. The spots in the photo may not come out completely, but you'll probably be able to fade them some.

3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover - part # 08984. I bought an 84 Buick Riviera convertible from a guy who was selling it because he couldnt afford to have it repainted. It had set under a large pine tree and was covered with sap. It took me two cans of the adhesive remover and a bundle of rags but the sap came off and the paint was fine. (Did have to put a new top on it though.) Given a little time and attention it will literally melt road tar without damaging the paint underneath it. Once you have a can of it in your garage, you'll wonder how you got along without it.

Thanks everyone! Typically the WD40 works great. However, @GTs58 was right. What I initially thought was a grime/oil/etc on the rim was actually acidic damage to the chrome.

Baking soda paste and elbow grease, or a dremel with a polishing wheel will bring them back it's worked for me on damage similar

I’ve always used laquer thinner.
Make sure you dry the dirty rags in the sun, because they can instantaneously combust.

Back