When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What types of paint are you using?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ron E

Look Ma, No Hands!
I’m getting ready to paint my wife’s bike frame as soon as I get it back from the plater.
I am using 65 to 70 year old decals.
I have read a few threads on painting bike frames here on the Cabe. I understand that enamel paints work best with old decals. I would like to use a paint that’s better than a spray can I can get at a hardware store.
What paints are you using that will produce a quality paint job, that won’t destroy vintage decals?

I went to my local auto paint supply store. They recommended an epoxy primer and clear coat, and they mixed the paint color I needed and loaded it in spray cans for me. WAY better than the paint from a hardware or auto part store. (I don’t have a Big compressor and whatnot yet, but quality paint in a can worked really really well.)

2B337159-FEB8-45A8-AA5C-7102E4FF6712.jpeg

the old decals won't care what the paint is unless you plan on clear coating the bike over the decals.

the paint store cans is definitely the best way to go if you do not have the equipment to spray.

there used to be pretty good paint in cans at the hardware store but not so much anymore, paint technology is always changing.

Thanks, to all for the advice.
I understand that some paints won’t be compatible with others.
I do plan on clear coating the frame and decals.
I do own a compressor, and HVLP spray gun.
I never had the chance to use it yet.
I do plan on practicing before spraying the frame. If I go that route.

I use a ppg products...you can get in a single stage color but u need to use a ppg primer.. if you chose a different brand u need to use that brands primer.. dont mix brands. Going custom paint costs more.. last ...please dont use that crappy krylon rattle can paint.. its just plain junk.. used for cheap fixes small house hold projects and wont last.. auto paints are durable if done correctly and can be touched up easily if you chip it.

I am using Rust-Oleum (aka. Rustoleum), either from the local Home Depot, or in 6-packs online, (if I do not want to make a trip to the store).

Sometimes, I use other brands -- just for a unique color, or for an under primer to more closely match the finish coat.

Back