When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was my first bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

guzziworksman

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm trying to figure out what my first bike was. Maybe a cabe expert can help. All I remember.
1949...0r 1950.
Montgomery Wards.
Had a Monarch badge.
Boys, 24".
Red.
No accessories, carrier, or truss bars. - as basic as you could get.
I did a search on the internet - it didn't pop up.
Can anyone tell me? Have a pic? Have one for sale?
Many thanks in advance.

This is going to be tough. Wards generally badged their bikes Hawthorne, and I have not heard of Monarch. Monark (not Monarch) was a manufacturer. Maybe they made some bikes for Wards? There was a post of a Firestone bike recently here where Monark put their own decal on the seat tube. Maybe they did that on a Hawthorne? Was the name on the badge or the seat tube? If it could have been Monark, maybe start looking at Monark 24s? I'm reaching here. I hope you get better answers than this.

Did it look like this?

I clearly remember it saying "Monarch" on the head tube. And it looked like an everyday, nondescript balloon tire bike. Absoutelty nothing distinct about it. Except it was mine. And if I could find another, sentimentalist that I am, I'd probably go stupid overboard in trying to make it look like the day I got it. Just went through the link supplied above...that "Monark" 24" could've been IT!

Got any pictures? Even crappy ones?

People around here can tell a lot just from a chainring, forks, etc. Wards hired others to make their bikes, as did many other department stores and retailers. There were only a few actual sources of bikes. It might turn up with a different badge.

Nope. Not a picture to be had. Only the one in mind...and that's a fuzzball. I might have to jump on the 24" Monark as THE one.

Looks like Westfield (best known for Columbia bikes) made a Monarch, but I have no idea when. Did the badge look like this?

s-l1600.jpg

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=303454400956

I also saw this Canadian one, though I think it is less likely. Were you in USA at the time?

s-l1600.jpg

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=293221781933

Looks like Westfield was using that first badge in the 30s, no telling when they stopped.

Last edited:
More here, and another style of Westfield Monarch badge (see page 2).

screenshot_20190827-223246_gallery-jpg.jpg

Back