When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was this Paramount frame originally?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That's a pretty wild repair. I'm impressed that you attempted it at all. Let us know how it works out as a rider. An intact one would be a pretty good ride; you might be able to ask around and find another one to try out and compare. Good luck.
David Bean
Arlington, MA USA

That's a pretty wild repair. I'm impressed that you attempted it at all. Let us know how it works out as a rider. An intact one would be a pretty good ride; you might be able to ask around and find another one to try out and compare. Good luck.
David Bean
Arlington, MA USA

I have put forty miles on this bike in the last two days over smooth and rough roads and up and down some pretty steep hills, so apparently it is intact. It rides nice enough, but not as good as my Columbus framed 1985 Supersport. Today I put a front derailleur on it and some newer brake pads so it is all set and fully functional, I will ride the heck out of it this fall until the snow comes back, then this winter I will do some paint work on it and swap some Campy parts onto it in place of the Japanese parts it has on it now.

Awesome- glad you stuck with it- don’t let the nay sayers get ya! Great spirit- I may have to send you my superior to fix like that! ( Joke )- RIDE ON

Awesome- glad you stuck with it- don’t let the nay sayers get ya! Great spirit- I may have to send you my superior to fix like that! ( Joke )- RIDE ON

It is up to a hundred miles now. A friend gave me a Campy shifter and cable guide which I put on. Currently it has Shimano 600 derailleurs and a cheap set of all-alloy cranks out of the junk-box. Brakes are off a '74 Schwinn Sprint and I must say they do not seem to work that well. As time goes by and I can afford it I will add components that are more correct.

The bike is very stable and feels very responsive to steering input. I read that all Schwinn lightweight bikes year for year had the same seat/head tube angles and fork specification, in the 70s I think it is 73 degrees. But for this p13-9 version 2 the fork was altered to a different "offset" maybe for quicker steering response.

I would love to help people with broken frames, but unfortunately in this day and age that is a job for someone with liability insurance.

cut the fork in the middle and shortened it today to match the frame;

View attachment 1911007

View attachment 1911008

View attachment 1911009
Seems to me like a lot of work to reduce the steerer tube by one inch? Did you consider just rethreading the tube down with the additional one inch of threads and cutting the extra length off the top? It's a common thread die size. It's much easier to shorten the tube than to lengthen it. It would be the same as cutting down a long tube girls fork for a shorter head tube men's frame.

The Reynolds steerer tube on a P13 is a "single butted" tube. It's tapered on the inside and has a thicker wall thickness at the bottom of the tube for strength. It might have been better to cut and reweld it a little lower where the wall thickness is greater. Did you make a sleeve for the inside of the tube at the weld joint? When butt welding thin wall tubing it is generally recommended to use a sleeve, and plug weld to the sleeve as well as the edge weld where the two pieces are joined. The sleeve, combined with the butt weld provides a "belt AND suspenders" repair for your safety. If it ever cracked "with the sleeve technique" it will give you some warning before it comes completely apart.

Lastly, bicycle frames are built in proportion to the rider size. For example, that "very large" P13 frame you found was built with not only a taller seat tube and head tube, but it also had a longer top tube, down tube, and rear triangle. It's hard to take a slice out of the egg shell and make it all come back together. Virtually every tube must be adjusted as the frame size changes to keep the ride quality.

John

Yea, there is always an "expert" with something to say. Anyway, I built up the wheels with Campy Record hubs and put them on yesterday. Next will put a set of Campy Record cranks on, 175mm at least, but longer if possible as I am used to riding with 180mm. As it is the bike works great and is racking up the miles weather permitting. until I get the spots painted that were welded and worked on, I am not taking it out in the rain.

Got this Paramount up over 300 miles now, some of it pretty rough roads and even over some dirt under my 200+ pounds, the bike feels better every time I ride it.

Also have a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pro 700cx28mm tires on this bike now which I got for free second-hand because the one that was on the back of someone's bike was worn and beat up a bit, but they ride really nicely and the bike seems fast.

I do some fairly serious metal fab., myself. The repairs look good to me. Sleeving the fork, and plug welds would have been good, but as it is, still stronger than stock. Good save! Keep at it,,,,,

Back