When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was your first bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Skiroule69

Look Ma, No Hands!
Mine was a brand new Schwinn Predator in '84 or '85. I can't remember the model for sure but I think it might have been a freeform. Blue anodized frame and wheels, pads, blue knobby tires, and a blue plastic seat. Every kid in the neighborhood wanted a ride on that bike! I rode the daylights out of it through the end of the decade. In the early '90s I got a new Schwinn mountain bike and my dad, who hated clutter, suggested I sell my BMX. A neighborhood kid bought it when we had a garage sale. He painted it maroon (yech!), exchanged the blue tires for normal black ones, changed the handlebars and got rid of the blue seat.
Years later, his dad and I bonded over car stuff. One weekend I came home from college and stopped at his house. He had a big pile of rusty bikes out front that his kids had dragged home over the years. I asked what he was going to do with them and he said they were going to the local scrap man. I looked through them and found my old bike! It was in terrible shape, rusty mess with bad tires, only one anodized wheel remained, etc. I positively ID'd it by my name etched into the seat post tube by my dad 20 years earlier. I asked what he wanted for it and he told me to get it out of there!
I took it with me to college, blew the whole thing apart and rebuilt it. Sadly all the decals, pads, the correct seat and tires, and the rear rim were gone. I knew I wasn't in a position to be able to restore it to the way it was, so I turned it into kind of a rat rod. Did the frame in gray primer, red wheels (as a coaster brake model) and black tires. I rode it between my girlfriend's apartment where I was living and college for years. I still have it in my basement now. I'd love to fully restore it to the way it was new, but it'd be a nightmare finding parts I'm sure. Either way it's still fun to ride!

In 1979 at age 6, I got an Iverson "muscle bike". It was red, with chrome fenders. Most of my friends had BMX bikes at the time, so I got lot of ribbing about riding a "geeky" bike. Riding it home from the shop, brand new, the front tire exploded. Not a good start! After a few summers of jumping ramps and generally hard riding, it cracked at the headtube. When I tried to ride it again, it split in two. Sadly, there is nothing left of this bike except the memories.

I have tried to find this bike through internet searches, to no avail. There are probably photos of it in my parents' photo albums.

My older brother and I got new reconditioned Schwinn 20" ballooners for Christmas 1958. Don't remember if they were straight bars or DX's. Mine was red with white trim and my brothers was blue. We moved from Wisconsin to Arizona the Summer of 59 and both bikes disappeared in 1961 by parental magic.

My first bike came from the local Western Auto store for Christmas 1958. I think it was a red 24" base model. At the time i had a couple of buddies that both had nice Schwinns and i was envious of those bikes. The Western Flyer got me around for a couple of years then i graduated to a 26" (Western Flyer). I never got my Schwinn until 50+ years later and now i have 12 of them (and no Western Flyers)..

Kinda but not. My first bike was not my childhood ride. I never know @piercer_99 started out on a Schwinn, and it wasn't a hand me down. 🤣
I had an early 60's Schwinn 20" hand me down after that until I was 10, then I got a brand new 1970 Sting Ray, in 74 I got a Murray 3 speed ended up trading the Sting Ray and the Murray for Peugeot 10 speed. There were at least a dozen Schwinn's at our house growing up.

One of these, should have kept the Sting Ray. However I bought my first car at 15 in 75 and they went faster.
1671017386353.png

Back