When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was your first bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I believe I posted about my first bike (stolen within a few days) and it's replacement, on the other thread. But I did have a Schwinn Predator a few years later. It had a chrome frame, black trim, and the 'Space Invaders' decals all over. Those came off quickly!

67 Hawthorne muscle. Dad & Mom had 6 kids so we all had Hawthorn’s , they couldn’t afford Schwinn . I finally found one just like it 50 years later

7E9CFBEC-9A42-4E8D-8296-6182B2EF0106.jpeg

CBA24CC5-58CE-461E-ABCF-007BE8A656C0.jpeg

A02BC857-63FF-48D9-9857-7757B7C18E37.jpeg

CB2CEED9-DF6F-4D0E-BD40-C0A3F788A8B5.jpeg

70F58152-3ED7-42CF-91A4-AB670EFC668F.jpeg

63D7E1C6-2CEC-4569-AD4A-018A5CDBF71A.jpeg

4E5E0311-C05C-4F3F-8E36-6524B61CA14B.jpeg

3E0E6BE4-C9B3-44F0-887F-9AE1327C473C.jpeg

FCC37356-2847-484A-8123-FD5B76CBCAA9.jpeg

AD2484AC-AB51-4390-ADB8-65FD9022C641.jpeg

My first bike was a red junker, probably a small Columbia ballooner, circa 1960.

I kept asking my dad, who was a jerk, for a bike. Everybody in the family said I was too small and couldn’t ride a bike. I knew that I could, if given a chance. My dad finally told me that he would get me a bike for my birthday, but if I couldn’t ride it he would return it.

Told you he was an *ss$(%,£!.

Anyway, I got my bike, a rusted out, beat up, piece of junk. The wheels turned....
I think he bought it at a secondhand store, probably for less than $5.

He thoughtfully stacked the odds against me by putting it in a very small, dark, basement for my initial riding test.

I knew it was do or die.

I got on, peddled with tremendous resolve, furiously shimmied the front wheel back and forth to keep from falling over, all while having to turn inside the small oval basement floor.

I rode the bike several laps around the basement floor, much to my families amazement and my fathers chagrin.

My first bike was a 1980s era Schwinn Aerostar made in Taiwan by Giant. My parents got it for me. It was dark blue with white lettering on the frame and had a single speed coaster brake. I used to ride down these two big hills in my yard with it. I crashed on it once where the front wheel hit a hidden hole in the grass at a good speed and turned the wheel sideways at once. I got the end of the handle bars in the gut, which resulted in some sort of internal injury or another. I remember because I went back to the house to use the restroom and my urine was red. My parents took me to the hospital but by then I had apparently self-mended enough that they just sent me home. The bike was a tough little thing because it was fine. My two nephews later learned to ride on that bike as well. I have no idea where it ended up.

My first vintage bike was my father's 1960s Higgins middleweight, which I cleaned and fixed up and rode around when I was about 12 or so. That bike is in storage in my grandparents' barn.

Mine was a European made 20 inch that my dad found abandoned on the railroad tracks behind where he worked,it sat in the basement and I can even remember when it was too big for me. One fall he pumped up the tires and I was taught to ride it and the next spring it was all painted up and I rode it until I got a 5 speed and think I still have the head badge somewhere.

1968 I turned 7 and got an Orange Krate and my brother got a Lemon Peeler, we were kings of the neighborhood and the envy of all. My seat was lowered as far as it would go down and I could barely get on it but I did. Both bikes were stolen two weeks later and never found, I cried like a baby. I had to ride a damn second hand Panther after that my dad got from the neighbor I hated that bike back then but loved them later. I went on to own all of the Krates years later "before they soared in price" never having paid more than $75 for one.

Back