When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was your first bike?

-
in 74 I got a Murray 3 speed ended up trading the Sting Ray and the Murray for Peugeot 10 speed. There were at least a dozen Schwinn's at our house growing up.
Everybody i knew, wanted a Schwinn;
they sold Millions!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415567044.567230.jpg

I have no idea, what my first bike was, but my recollection of it, was that it was some sort of a Rat Rod that my Dad made up out of parts from many different makes and models of the time.
He painted it Fire Engine Red, which to this day, is a favorite of mine.
I remember how jealous I was, when he came home with a little Schwinn Fair Lady for my sister.
She always called me, the Golden Boy, but she was the one that got the brand new Schwinn.
My brother and I, got the kluge’d together rat rods. Lol!
So, I think, my first bike was a, Murray, Westfield, Cleveland Welding, Huffy, Colson, built Schwinn, with maybe a little bit of Royce Union thrown in for good measure. Lol!

Last edited:
Very first was some super, double top secret, ancient 20" balloon tire bike. It didn't last long.
My dad made my brothers refurbish one of their Schwinn Fastbacks, in exchange that he would get them 10 speeds. Way ahead of its time, it was painted a satin burgundy, with a white banana seat. A wider rear wheel replaced the bent rear wheel. It was sharp! Even when the other kids started putting 10 speed seats on their bikes, I never did it with the Red Baron! My sister ran over it when she was learning to drive.

Received one of these for my birthday in 1974. Came from Kiddie City. My first "real" bike. It went from what you see in the brochure to a "banana seat" bike, later to a green spraybombed "BMX" bike, then it got pretty much destroyed. Never saw another until a couple years ago, a somewhat complete one showed up at Trexlertown. Of course I had to pick it up!

Huffy Whizzer ad.jpg
Huffy Whizzer.jpg

Last edited:
Received one of these for my birthday in 1974. Came from Kiddie City. My first "real" bike. It went from what you see in the brochure to a "banana seat" bike, later to a green spraybombed "BMX" bike, then it got pretty much destroyed. Never saw another until a couple years ago, a somewhat complete one showed up at Trexlertown. Of course I had to pick it up!

View attachment 1765690View attachment 1765691
Sounds like you got your money's worth out of that one!

Christmas 1964. My Dad worked a second job to buy my brother and I matching Coppertone Stingrays. There was snow and ice on the ground on Christmas Day, but we took them outside and rode them anyway. I have a picture somewhere of the bikes under the Christmas tree. Great memory.
My first bike was 1967 Murray built Hiawatha Cadet that my dad bought for $35.00 brand new from the Gambles store in my hometown of Plattevile Wisconsin when I was 7years old. Had it for about a year when we moved to Beaver Dam when it got stolen out of our garage and never seen again. I rode the wheels off that bike still remember all the fun times I had on that little 20" Cadet bike.. Those were my Happy Days...

My first new bike was a 1960 Schwinn Speedster. I rode it until I got my learners permit at 15 and never rode it again. My father gave it away to the neighbor down the street from us. Last fall I was at a swap meet in Knoxville Iowa and bought this Schwinn. It was the exact year, model and color as my childhood bike that I abandoned in 1967. Actually this one is in much better condition than my original one.

firstbike.jpeg

Back