When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was your first vintage bike? The one that started it all?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
My first vintage bike that started it for me. Back in 2018 while doing my job delivering packages I had a delivery for a salvage yard. While pulling in I noticed one of the guys pushing a couple old bikes out of the garage. I delivered the package to the shop then walked over and asked the guy if he planned on selling the bikes. He said he was looking to get $40 for it. It was really rusty n crusty and I first thought it was too far gone. So I said I’d think about it and a few days later I got it. Loaded it up in my delivery van and brought it home. The chain was froze up with rust, much like the rest of the bike was.. But with Lots of elbow grease, a torch, and determination I finally got it rideable.. 1 year earlier my mom and I were salvaging barnwood from a local barn and she kicked at something in the ground, picked it up and it turned out to be a late 20s Elgin motorbike switch tool box tank. So when I got the 35 Schwinn home I called my mom and asked her to bring that tank over to see if it would fit the bike. The tank fit the bike perfectly so she said I could have it!

1B626986-0653-4A83-A8D0-332E8E4FBB13.jpeg

C3613752-C526-432C-A6D0-77B075397482.jpeg

4EA3CF3C-1932-446F-B7CF-084D147D772D.jpeg

DA7E19F2-1BFC-4720-828D-491F37892945.jpeg

750F6B92-C843-4C0E-8422-99F4C9C6CE0C.jpeg

AFDB2EF9-8DA7-43B0-BAE4-E11364D92F94.jpeg

Last edited:
My first vintage bike was a 1963 Columbia and a 1965-67 Sears Spaceliner which my friend’s parents had thrown away. I was able to ride the Columbia home but the Spaceliner had to be walked.

This was back in 2004, and I didn’t know this was a hobby, I just thought they were cool. So, it took some research to figure out what the Columbia was, but the Spaceliner remained a mystery for a couple years. I attempted my first restoration on the Columbia and finished the bike in 2005. I wasn’t satisfied and tried to re-do it better, stripping the faded original paint and trying my hand at airbrushing. When I was finished, the color was way, way off. I did not prep it properly and had to strip it down again.

I was getting burned out on this bike. I learned a lot, but ultimately grew in knowledge that both of these bikes were women’s frame models and not worth much. The Spaceliner turned out to be a rust pile, so that was parted and scrapped. The Columbia sat for years as a basket case, and I ended up selling it. Had I owned the bike today, it would have been parted out, looking back, it was pretty rough.

So, my first successful rebuild of a vintage bike was my 1963 Huffy Impala in optional Silvermist Black. I bought that bike in 2006, and put it away for parts, but found out the bike was too good for parts and completed a full rebuild in 2007. I still have it, and it has been on Boy Scout rides, family rides, cruise-in’s, and took 3rd in it’s category at it’s first bike show at Daddy Katz in 2010.

I bought it at a garage sale for $2. It was covered in oil, from hand grip to spoke nipple.

A884B2A1-5901-4818-A185-81F94EABD7CC.jpeg

1923 Elgin motorbike.. someone was at a garage sale and overheard me talking about old bicycles.. he came up and said he knew of a older bicycle and I gave him my number.. I got a call went to the address and saw a older gent who said to me he had the bike.. I went into the shed and saw it.. it was completely original minus the light and switch..he said was the original owner and his dad bought for him for helping out in his shop.. I nearly died it was my first and kept till my divorce..

This home painted (brush) curved bar Elgin was really the bike that got me seriously back into vintage bikes. Found it long ago, then it sat for a few years, then about 12 years ago I decided to have some fun with it. Still have it!

When Found!

At Present: spends it's days as a bare metal racer.

... this would be my "first vintage bike" of my second go around with old bikes. bought the frame and fork on a Saturday, then Sunday I found the Typhoon Cord tires and rusty wheels at a swap meet. the rest was parts I had from before.

influence of the Cabe made me add fenders, chain guard, skip tooth and proper bars and stem.

My first vintage bike was a 1963 Columbia and a 1965-67 Sears Spaceliner which my friend’s parents had thrown away. I was able to ride the Columbia home but the Spaceliner had to be walked.

This was back in 2004, and I didn’t know this was a hobby, I just thought they were cool. So, it took some research to figure out what the Columbia was, but the Spaceliner remained a mystery for a couple years. I attempted my first restoration on the Columbia and finished the bike in 2005. I wasn’t satisfied and tried to re-do it better, stripping the faded original paint and trying my hand at airbrushing. When I was finished, the color was way, way off. I did not prep it properly and had to strip it down again.

I was getting burned out on this bike. I learned a lot, but ultimately grew in knowledge that both of these bikes were women’s frame models and not worth much. The Spaceliner turned out to be a rust pile, so that was parted and scrapped. The Columbia sat for years as a basket case, and I ended up selling it. Had I owned the bike today, it would have been parted out, looking back, it was pretty rough.

So, my first successful rebuild of a vintage bike was my 1963 Huffy Impala in optional Silvermist Black. I bought that bike in 2006, and put it away for parts, but found out the bike was too good for parts and completed a full rebuild in 2007. I still have it, and it has been on Boy Scout rides, family rides, cruise-in’s, and took 3rd in it’s category at it’s first bike show at Daddy Katz in 2010.

I bought it at a garage sale for $2. It was covered in oil, from hand grip to spoke nipple.

View attachment 1675393
I was thinking about this post, and I’m off a bit. I got that Huffy in early 2005, and finished the rebuild either in late 2005 or early 2006. Matter of fact, this bike is due for a tear down once again, just because I used white lithium grease and it’s been over 15 years.

Back