When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Western Flyer is this? 1950?

-

AccessoriesMIA

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello again everyone, I bring you yet again another project which I want to fix up to road condition, however this one isn’t so bad. It’s a western flyer similar to my 1951 WF Special. The catch is is that it has a straight, sprung, truss rod instead of an outward curve rod like the 51. I am new to post war and pre war bikes so it is a little confusing to me, but I would like to know if anyone can tell me why it has a straight rod instead of a curved rod. As far as I can tell, it used to have a tank.

(At the moment I only have one photo of it, when I get to pick it up I will grab as many parts an pieces as possible, ant take some photos)

4B4F0957-2C83-4ECE-BD92-A1CF3208509F.jpeg

Late 40's and some 50's CWC models used the straight springer truss rods, serial #'s will tell the story!, possible bobbed tip fenders could be a WF Super?

Last edited:
Those curved truss rods are kind of bumpers to protect the bike. They also usually have barrel springs on the springer. The bike pictured looks like it could be earlier because of the straight springs and truss rods.

Dear all, I got the Bike! And as a side note, I traded my civil war cannonball for it! So I didn’t pay a dime! Here is a photo of the serial # from when I stopped to get gas, I will be on the road for most of today, so I won’t be able to read your reply’s until later this afternoon. As far as I can see it says: J54086 and maybe a 6 on the far side of the bottom?
I hope you all can help identify it properly now.

184E83AB-B617-441A-B828-8E13385F20C7.jpeg

Hard to tell from that pic but serial appears to date bike from about Mar '48 to Jun '49. The serial only tells you date and not the model. We will need better pics of the whole bike to help determine what it model it may have been.

There is usually a couple more #'s & letters to the right of the #'s, may take a little scraping.

Might be 1953–J with a 53Cw stamp; but by that time CWC might have had scuff guards, front and rear?
Not sure about when the horizontal rear fork ends were introduced?

Last edited:
Hard to tell from that pic but serial appears to date bike from about Mar '48 to Jun '49. The serial only tells you date and not the model. We will need better pics of the whole bike to help determine what it model it may have been.
Best photo I have at the moment, and some of the others seem to think there are more #s?

6D4C999A-6B35-4D70-B4C1-FC5CA0FBCCF6.jpeg

Back