When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you think / how would you respond if a seller sent you this bike? Or... a cautionary tale of buyer beware (pics)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of those situations that make all of us cringe! Sorry for what you've gone thru!
Someone please clarify for me. I read where his name was Kevin Crowe, but more important, what was his handle here on the CABE?
Also it's stated he's "suspended". Does this mean after the slap on the hand, he can come back and pull this crap again???

In closing! If you feel red flags walk away!!
No, Dave banned him. I doubt the suspension will lift in our lifetimes or his.
Ask Dave for clarification, he has the real answer.
Rob

Oldbikeguy1960, With respect to your 4th paragraph above. Too bad for sellers not wanting to pay seller fees, that’s the cost of doing business. They dont pay for ads here or almost anywhere online? Can’t get a cheaper way to sell. I won’t buy anything if they require me to pay their fees. I don’t need it

274046110_10160208134563804_9042608693092523013_n.jpg

I wanted to make a last pitch at hoping everyone could understand my frustration with the responses to this thread, and Dave was willing to let me have one more try.

I understand the OP had a lapse in judgement. He knew that before he posted his thread, he didn't need any of us to tell him.
I am sure we all have made bad judgements in life. I have made many in my 62 years of penance on this level of hell. I do not have any room to criticize the buyer for anything.

What I do feel I have the right to criticize is the sellers obvious and complete lack of scruples in the way he handled this sale and the ensuing buyer's concerns.
The photos were very deceptive and when the buyer had concerns the seller turned nasty and said things I think are better left for the buyer to relay if he wishes.

I want to ask again for all of us to be a little more understanding and respectful to the buyer. If anyone wants to be mean or rude, direct it toward the fact that the seller was able to pull off this fraud right under all of out noses. I know none of us can cover all the bases but thus is a megaforum. All of us could cover a step between each base and do our part to protect our forum from people like Kevin Crowe who want to use us all to make a quick buck and move on to the next green field.

Don't turn your back and let these things happen here! This reminds me of the tragic incident on a Florida Beach I heard about last year where two boys assaulted and raped a young girl, right on the beach in daylight in front of witnesses. Not one person came to her aid. Instead everyone got out their smartphones, but instead of calling the police they turned on their cameras and made videos of the tragedy to show friends and post online. As if it wasn't already a horrifying experience, now she and her family will have to relive that nightmare for the rest of her life and beyond.

This situation was our chance to do something to help end the buyers nightmare and we dropped the ball. We saw it happen and we punished the victim and gave the perpetrator a free pass to do this to another unsuspecting buyer who wants to relive a part of his life for a few minutes at a time.

All I am asking is that we all take some responsibility for the forum we all get use, information and enjoyment from.
We all need to do our part to police our forum and protect each other from people like Kevin who have no conscience and do not give a second thought to stealing someone's money and dreams for a quick profit.

I know we all think we are invincible, at least until we are not. Next time it may be you. Then you will wonder why nobody stood up for you, apologized for your loss or better yet did their part to see that it doesn't happen here on OUR FORUM.

Please consider not only what I have said, but what you should've said so if this ever happens here again you might say the right thing.
Thank you for hearing me out.
Rob

I think in the thread he said he put $2500 total in the bike and ended up with 12 people coming to look. Eleven of them left and the 12th would only offer $500. He took that. He made the turd into something but he lost $2000 on it.
Not where I would want to be.
Rob
Someone was confused that I've now got $2500 into this bike. If you count the "new" 1949 Schwinn I bought to replace it, and don't count the $500 I sold it for, then yes.

But my actual $$ loss on the green bike is right around $900 counting disassembly, boxing and shipping, and the good crank I bought. Not counting time, labor, materials, tools (10-24 tap to rethread the fork), and frustration.

In the end I lost about $900 on the entire deal after selling it. Expensive lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back