When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What year is my (Excelsior built?) Elgin?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

fat tire trader

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Can anyone tell me what year my Elgin is? Its the way I got it, except I put on the head light. I need the battery tube, drop stand and a saddle in better condition.
Thanks,
Chris
28_elgin_1-1.jpg

28_elgin_2-1.jpg

28_elgin_3-1.jpg

28_elgin_4-1.jpg

28_elgin_5-1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like possible Westfield manufacture. What is the serial number?
What rear hub does it have?

Last edited:
Awesome Survivor!

That looks more Excelsior built due to the joint of the lower top tube to the seat tube is one distinctive feature of Excelsiors. The chain ring is another known Excelsior feature.

Here is the joint I'm referring to:

attachment.php

I would say anywhere in the 1920-30 range???

Can you post pics of both stay bridges.

This one from Nostalgic.net is listed as a 1923

ElginSideshot2-1.jpg

Last edited:
That looks more Excelsior built due to the joint of the lower top tube to the seat tube is one distinctive feature of Excelsiors. The chain ring is another known Excelsior feature.

Here is the joint I'm referring to:

attachment.php

I would say anywhere in the 1920-30 range???

Can you post pics of both stay bridges.

This one from Nostalgic.net is listed as a 1923

ElginSideshot2-1.jpg

Love these early Elgins. Really dig that red/cream paint scheme. Looked very similar to.one I recently picked up. Haven't checked the serial.number yet, but also guessing its 20's-30's.

IMAG1518_zps8b440585-1.jpg

If it was made by Excelsior is there a way to determine what year? I'll take more pics tomorrow.
Thanks,
Chris

I agree the frame looks Excelsior built. Viewing on my phone it is hard to see some details. Looks like truss rods might be welded to fork legs? The fork crown looks like Westfields construction, which is what I based my original assumption on. Here's a photo of an Excelsior I sold last year, the fork crown is different. Also the joint in the
agujy9yp-1.jpg
u3ajatyn-1.jpg
frame at seat mast is on the upper not middle bar. This photo is from one Chitown posted. I have more photos of this bike will look to see if I have better photo showing the joint at the middle bar junction.

Head light and can

batteries go in the tank and the light switch would be on the left side of tank, this tank is not standard sized and is made to fit the Excelsior frame.
23/24 is my guess based on paint scheme

batteries go in the tank and the light switch would be on the left side of tank, this tank is not standard sized and is made to fit the Excelsior frame.
23/24 is my guess based on paint scheme

Batteries go in the tanK? My tank does not have a battery tray, but I was wondering if the holes on the left side of the tank are original. Are they for screws to hold a battery tray? THe tank does not have a switch and I don't remember seeing a hole that a switch could go into. I'll look again later today. Does anyone have any pics of one of these tanks with a battery tray and a switch?
Thanks!
Chris

The fork crown looks like Westfields construction, which is what I based my original assumption on. Here's a photo of an Excelsior I sold last year, the fork crown is different.

The triple plate trussed fork was used by several makers including: Excelsior, Schwinn, Westfield, Davis, Great Western, Snyder and possibly others. The Excelsior you sold had deep fenders (often associated with Harley Davidson and Davis made bikes) But I think this is more an indicator or age (1916-early twenties) than of make. Same with the lower tube joint. The one you had could be older than the Elgin's posted here. Just a theory, with no confirmation of age on the Excelsior you sold.

Back