When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what year is my hawthorne

-

WHAT YEAR IS MY HAWTHORNE

Votes: 2 100.0%

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

dale jenkins

On Training Wheels
hello, I am dale,new to club.i have this wards hawthorne which was my dads bicycle he was born 1920.i was told this is a1938.i can not believe my dad was 18 years old when he got his first bicycle.his dad owned a general store in Gilmore co west Virginia.and had money .the serial number is C43730. can anyone help me on year..thanks DALE.

20171121_155255.jpg

20171121_155308.jpg

20171121_155316.jpg

Yep, Catfish is correct. It is a CWC build Hawthorne Comet. Post the serial to pin point the year. Serial number is under the crank hanger, it will have a letter and most likely five digits.

It looks like a repaint with several wrong parts on board. I have the CWC version of that bike badged "ELITE" I also had one badged Roadmaster.

How is the tank attached to the frame? it should have two straps attaching it to the top bar.
015 (3).JPG

3236974761_30e758f3be_b[1].jpg

BTW, based on your serial number it dates from the tail end of 1937 through 1938

Last edited:
Yep, Catfish is correct. It is a CWC build Hawthorne Comet. Post the serial to pin point the year. Serial number is under the crank hanger, it will have a letter and most likely five digits.

It looks like a repaint with several wrong parts on board. I have the CWC version of that bike badged "ELITE" I also had one badged Roadmaster.

How is the tank attached to the frame? it should have two straps attaching it to the top bar.
View attachment 712979

View attachment 712966

BTW, based on your serial number it dates from the tail end of 1937 through 1938
HELLO.YES I HAVE THE TWO STRAPS THAT HOLD TANK AND HAVE CORRECT 26 TOOTH CRANK COMING FROM EBAY.I THOUGHT A1938 TANK WAS SHORTER ON THE SEAT END ON SOME OTHER SEARCHS ON INTERNET

This is a very uncommon model bicycle. CWC built them for Hawthorne, so the Hawthorne version was offered in the Wards catalog. However, the CWC Roadmaster version was not advertised in any of their catalogs that I am aware of.

I have seen this model bike with a variety of head badges, Roadmaster, Elite, Speed, Aero Flyer to name a few. CWC made bicycles for many vendors of the era.

This is a rare model in terms of known examples. The tank or bike should not be confused with the Snyder built which is similar in appearance but worlds apart. The tank is not interchangeable with the Snyder.

Your bike should be equipped like the color advertisement above.

Straighten that poor fork out :eek:

20171108_141214.jpg
20171108_141335.jpg
1510168185803.jpg
20171108_141214.jpg
20171108_141335.jpg
1510168185803.jpg
This is a very uncommon model bicycle. CWC built them for Hawthorne, so the Hawthorne version was offered in the Wards catalog. However, the CWC Roadmaster version was not advertised in any of their catalogs that I am aware of.

I have seen this model bike with a variety of head badges, Roadmaster, Elite, Speed, Aero Flyer to name a few. CWC made bicycles for many vendors of the era.

This is a rare model in terms of known examples. The tank or bike should not be confused with the Snyder built which is similar in appearance but worlds apart. The tank is not interchangeable with the Snyder.

Your bike should be equipped like the color advertisement above.

Straighten that poor fork out :eek:
THANKS CWCMAN.MY UNCLE REPAINTED THIS BIKE IN THE EARLY 70S. HE DID NOT PAINT THE TANK ,IT HAD A LOT OF DENTS IN IT.I HAMMERED MOST OF THE DENTS OUT AND PUTTYED.TANK HAS MY DADS INITIALS ON. INSIDE OF TANK,VERY COOL WHEN I SEEN THIS. I NEVER NOTICEED THE FORKS BEING BENT BACK TILL TOU MENTIONED IT,YOUR RIGHT.I WILL FIX TODAY..IHAVE WORK TO DO ON BIKE.PUT IT TOGETHER JUST FOR PICTURES TO POST. OK THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU ON THE CABE.

Dale,
This bike is very deserving of a proper restoration, especially since it was your fathers bicycle.

The tank decal was expertly reproduced by John A. He is a Cabe member (John). You can contact him for a set.

The other parts to make your bike correct shouldn't be to difficult to find.

Good Luck

I am also wondering about the year of my bike, and any other information you may be able to give.
IMG_6828.jpg
IMG_6825.jpg

@Adi
Check out the CWC serial numbers thread at the top of the classic bicycles 1933-1965 forum.
Also, feel free to start a new thread unique to your bike. Welcome to the CABE

Back