When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What year is my Schwinn Whizzer?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Lostsheep

On Training Wheels
Hi,
I'm new to the CABE, and seem like an awesome site. I picked up a Schwinn Whizzer a couple of weeks ago for a restoration project, I gotta say I love this bike and can't wait for the restoration journey.
Info on the bike:
Bike serial number located on the bottom bracket. A99194.
Cylinder head 2204 W1
Engine serial number H 127338. Has H motor controls on handle bars
Carb ML5B.
The frame has the indents for belt clearance
It has the front drum brake
It has brake strap arm and bracket welded to the frame

20170616_155005.jpg

20170616_155024.jpg

20170616_155141.jpg

01/09/1952 ------------------ A97867 ------------------ E00434

It's been noted that the serial numbers for 1952 were relocated to the drop out about a week or so into January 52. So I'd assume yours is a 1952.

3 of the 5 whizzers I own, have very strange serial numbers. They are numbers that are probably before the fire. I would guess that your bike is from 1948 maybe 1949. I think the SN would indicate that it was a 1952? but if it was, most likely the SN# would be on the left rear drop out. Also, I am pretty positive that the head badge would be the larger oval SCHWINN head badge, and not the planes and trains. Do your S2 wheels have double knurls or no knurls. I think the early S2's had no knurls. None of my bikes have them, and they are all 1948 and down bikes. Anyway, I hope this helps.

I and probably others would like to see some good shots of all the bottom bracket joints. I know Schwinn was EF the bottom bracket shell together early post war so maybe this serial number mystery can be solved. More than one person in this hobby has stated that the serial numbers were relocated to the dropouts sometime in early 1952.

Obi-Wan's input on the serials...............

1946 series Hxxxxx Ixxxxx Jxxxxx A0xxxx (small type face)
Bxxxxx
Cxxxxx (low number)

But the S-2's were not available at this time.

AA serial change.PNG

Last edited:
If this is a 1952 frame, more than likely it has a motor kit installed. Thing is, it would be the 700 model motor kit, not the H model.

The older could be for a H model.
Hope this helps

Ray

If this is a 1952 frame, more than likely it has a motor kit installed. Thing is, it would be the 700 model motor kit, not the H model.

The older could be for a H model.
Hope this helps

Ray
In 1952 were all of the Whizzer's a Whizzer Special with the DX frame, or were they still making the cantilever frames as well?

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm new to the CABE, and seem like an awesome site. I picked up a Schwinn Whizzer a couple of weeks ago for a restoration project, I gotta say I love this bike and can't wait for the restoration journey.
Info on the bike:
Bike serial number located on the bottom bracket. A99194.
Cylinder head 2204 W1
Engine serial number H 127338. Has H motor controls on handle bars
Carb ML5B.
The frame has the indents for belt clearance
It has the front drum brake
It has brake strap arm and bracket welded to the frame

View attachment 488091

View attachment 488092

View attachment 488093
Do your rims have two knurls on each side of the spokes, or no knurling? 1948 had no knurls, and 1949 should have double knurls. And I am pretty positive that the planes and trains head badge was discontinued completely by 1950. The only bikes that would accept a planes and trains badge after 1950 would be a BF Goodrich Schwinn, as the screw hole spacing is the same. If you you do a google search on any 1950 Schwinn, you wont find a planes and trains head badge. This is what I have observed. If I am wrong I would love to be corrected. I am pretty new to all of this and the last thing I want to do is spread false information. Thanks everybody, and cool bike!!!

Last edited:
There is no knurling on the rims. The seller had it for 30 years and said it was the original H motor.

Dredging this subject up from the grave, my Whizzer also has the odd serial number on the BB which decodes as '52 but again its got the original planes and trains badge, skip tooth chain and duck tail rear fender, the only thing that had me second guessing is that the spring fork truss bars are the larger diameter ones but I have yet to see a definite changeover date on those, heres the BB #

Back