When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What year is my Schwinn?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

TheFizzer

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Any idea what year this Schwinn is?

3EB8919F-AA4A-43EC-BFA9-3AC0FDE96781.jpeg

E1EC3A23-6C88-4D63-9444-CD931FD50193.jpeg

Has to '52 or earlier. During 1952, the serial number was moved to the left dropout. Prior to then the number was stamped into the bottom bracket as seen here. You cannot use the Bikehistory.org tool with any great success.

That's a tricky # R54910 ... only place it fits into the crack is in 1949: 11/03 ------------------ F309648 ---------------- S312650

But even there is just a shot in the dark. Otherwise, I think, It does not look like U could trust that nice looking crank to match the rusty frame. So, potentially, the only option is, at best, to be a somewhat random run off number in the end of the 1952 series or a very low volume, virtually unheard of, hidden in 49.

Last edited:
Is there anything that was cast on the crank indicating a casting date? Schwinn had a habit of throwing in some some odd prefix letters and that practice continued over the years with 1957 being the last year and one of most messed up looking bunch of serials you could imagine.

I've seen the R serials quite a few times on the BB and never has anyone mentioned a crank date on those pieces. My best guess would be a 1947 or 1948 where Schwinn would throw in a few days where the serial prefix changed for some unknown reason. In 1950 for most all of that year they were stamping the letter G, but for 14 non consecutive days they stamped the prefix letter Z. In 1949 they used the F series but for two days that year they were stamping the letter S on the BB shells. So my best guess is the R was used in 1948 or 1947. There is a slight chance the R's were stamped in 1946 but I really doubt it due to the fact there were at least 5 or more other letters used during that time and earlier.

Any casting date on the crank?

Back