When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What year is this?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This one is an 87 # 0627

Here's the 1987 catalog page for the Cruisers. I wonder what the color option deal is here on the two years 86 & 87.

The OP'S bike has a 1987 color option that wasn't available in 1986, but it was in 1987. Final build day was
August 14, 1986 (Thu)Day 226
So that color was either a late option for 1986 or it took months for the new year's models to float over the pond.

1662178133280.png

Last edited:
Two ways to tell on the Hungary,Taiwan,China built Schwinns.
SN: Y"6"701191
HB: 2266
86, probably a Taiwan but could be Hungarian built.
Looking at the chainguard mount and forks you can tell its a mid 80's bike. Not sure whats up with the color.

Last edited:
Two ways to tell on the Hungary,Taiwan,China built Schwinns.
SN: Y"6"701191
HB: 2266
86, probably a Taiwan but could be Hungarian built.
Looking at the chainguard mount and forks you can tell its a mid 80's bike. Not sure whats up with the color.
It has a label that says made in Taiwan. One less mystery. 👍🏻

-----

1662227813897.png

-----

LUV how the mailbox so perfectly blocks the view of the red vehicle from this perspective

with a mail box out at the curb like that I certainly would not want to come out to check the post in me housecoat and curlers! 😲

-----

So Giant started making Schwinns in 77 and went to the head badge numbering. https://www.bicycle-and-bikes.com/bicycle-brands/giant-bikes/. But if it went through 87 you just need to compare the way the model looks to the catalog to see if your 7 is a 77 or 87?

Thanks for the info and pics, everyone 👍🏻

Giant did not make bikes for Schwinn in the 70's. The first imports were from Japan and that was the 1974 Le Tour I believe. The first imported cantilever framed models was in 1985.
You're correct on how to pinpoint the decade of the Schwinns with the build dates on the head badge.

1986. I thought I had determined this was a Giant built bike but for the life of me I can't remember how I got to that conclusion. It was built in Taiwan. Maybe that's it.

Back