When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What year, model, value?

-

CoachD

On Training Wheels
I have an original Chicago Schwinn with the serial #: D21 066. I have not been able to identify the year or model or it's value. It is in very good original shape. Please help me if you can.

Maybe a 1952 or 1957 Can you post a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do have pictures on my phone and I am trying to figure out how to post. It is a single bar. The front hub on the inside says "made in Germany". The back hub is a Bendix automatic (2 speed) with a coaster brake.

Maybe a 1952 or 1957 Can you post a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20180720_160030.jpg

20180720_155730.jpg

20180720_155512.jpg

Looks like it was built up with a mixture of parts. Got a good picture of the serial number? Seems something is wrong with the posted serial number and frame design. Missing a digit or letter. Possible 1966 January number where they didn't stamp the year date letter. If so, it was probably a Speedster with most of the parts changed out and missing.

Deleted the Speedster catalog image.................................

Last edited:
Wow, now that helps. SN D212066. That SN was stamped on April 4 1962 so the bike would be a 1962 model. No camelback frames that year and looking closer the bike has middleweight rims.
confused2.gif

Damn, it looks like someone modified a middleweight cantilever frame by cutting off the cantilever bars. And it appears they did a nice job too!

So what model might it have been?
Wow, now that helps. SN D212066. That SN was stamped on April 4 1962 so the bike would be a 1962 model. No camelback frames that year and looking closer the bike has middleweight rims. View attachment 845330
Damn, it looks like someone modified a middleweight cantilever frame by cutting off the cantilever bars. And it appears they did a nice job too!

So what model might it have been?

I suppose the bike has been spray bombed black. Is there any sign of the original chain guard screening with the model name? There is no chrome fork crown and the stem is the cheaper rolled version so that leaves just a couple models to choose from. The pedals I can say for sure are not original to that bike, but period correct. The only middleweight models for 62 that didn't have the fork crown and had that stem was the Fleet, Typhoon and the Skipper. The Typhoon was a double straight bar that continued on into the seat stays so that model is not a contender. The Fleet had a hanging tank and there would be two tabs on the bottom of the top bar for mounting. If there are not tabs and they haven't been cut off when the cantilever bars were removed, then the bike was a Skipper. Another way to figure out if it was a Skipper or a Fleet is to somehow find out what was painted on the chain guard. Both those models were offered in the same two colors, red and black.

Wow, now that helps. SN D212066. That SN was stamped on April 4 1962 so the bike would be a 1962 model. No camelback frames that year and looking closer the bike has middleweight rims. View attachment 845330

Just curious, did Schwinn ever produce a camel back middleweight frame that looks like (or close to) the one pictured above? I understand this particular frame has been modified, but I could have sworn I've seen a very similar middleweight frame that looked like this, but can't remember what model it might have been.
I know there were camelback lightweights but was there ever a camelback middleweight?
Just wondering if I may have actually seen one, or if my memory is playing tricks on me.

Back