When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What year, model, value?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'd like to see some close-up shots of that frame where the welds would have been. There may be traces of them still on the frame. It takes skill to remove those bars and patch up the welded area. Welcome to the hobby.

Wow, that's kinda cool. I have been getting into camelback Collegiates and Speedsters lately. I think the only camelback frames Schwinn made with curved seatstays are 20" Fastbacks and 24" Manta Rays... a quick way to tell if someone built a 24" Speedster into a Manta clone is to check the seatstays. I wonder about the strength of this frame... do you think it's roughly as strong as an equivalent Schwinn-produced camelback, or has it been compromised? If it's still pretty strong, it'd be a cool customization to build a sort of phantom lightweight (no, not THAT kind of Phantom...)

--rick

Just curious, did Schwinn ever produce a camel back middleweight frame that looks like (or close to) the one pictured above? I understand this particular frame has been modified, but I could have sworn I've seen a very similar middleweight frame that looked like this, but can't remember what model it might have been.
I know there were camelback lightweights but was there ever a camelback middleweight?
Just wondering if I may have actually seen one, or if my memory is playing tricks on me.

The only middleweight frame that resembled the camelback frame was the 1955 and 56 flying Star. It went to a cantilever for 1957.

1955_08.jpg

The only middleweight frame that resembled the camelback frame was the 1955 and 56 flying Star. It went to a cantilever for 1957.

That's it, that's the one I was thinking of! So I'm not crazy lol. Thank's GT, you're like a Schwinn encyclopedia, you know this stuff inside and out.

I'd like to see some close-up shots of that frame where the welds would have been. There may be traces of them still on the frame. It takes skill to remove those bars and patch up the welded area. Welcome to the hobby.

View attachment 845904
This is the closest model that we have ever found that looks like my bike.

Back