When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What year was this CWS bike made and its approximate value?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

JohnBiker

On Training Wheels
This is my first time on this forum. I'm trying to find out anything about a bike I picked up this weekend. I am in no way a bike expert. I will probably try to post this for sale and I don't know if it's better to do it here or put it on Craigslist in the area I live. There are large numbers of cyclists in our area but I'm not sure if they are into vintage bicycles. This appears to be a rare CWS Hurricane bike from England. I have found bikes like this online and it appears most likely to be a 1948. It has a four digit serial number beginning with 7. I don't know the protocols here for asking for advice but I'm looking for anyone who can tell me anything about this bike or how much I should expect to be able to get for it. And is it better to sell on this website or just post locally? Any help out there? Check out the pictures. This is definitely a cool bike and all I did was clean it up so far as much as I could. It was pretty darn dirty. The 3 speed shifter is tied down to keep it as a one speed right now but it appears to be fully functioning. I don't know much about old bikes but I have to say the brake system makes older bikes pretty dangerous. Nevertheless, the bike rides pretty despite sitting for years in a garage. Please reply with whatever you can tell me about this bike or its value. Thank you!

20220403_112213.jpg

20220403_112412.jpg

20220403_112347.jpg

20220403_112319.jpg

20220403_112250.jpg

20220403_112224.jpg

20220403_112136.jpg

20220403_112222.jpg

20220403_112053.jpg

20220403_112019.jpg

20220403_112053.jpg

20220403_112045.jpg

20220403_112005.jpg

20220403_112347.jpg

That SA rear hub likely has a date on it but I’m thinking’60s -‘70s and about $75 tops. V/r Shawn

As Shawn mentions above, the date stamped on the rear hub shell will probably provide the most reliable date for production of your bicycle.
This model of ladies bicycle was available from at least 1937 up to the 1970's from The Cooperative Wholesale Society and basically remained unchanged during that time, although they were available with paint other than black much later on.
However I'm suggesting that yours is probably from the 1950's/60's based on that SA gear trigger lever.

The company itself was originally founded in 1844 in Rochdale, Lancashire, England and is still in existence today as the Cooperative Group.
They were a store where you could could buy practically anything when I was a kid but now exist mainly as a nationwide chain of food/grocery stores and as a nationwide funeral service; that diversity reflects the fact that they were a very wide ranging company in the past.
My Dad worked as a "Co-op" milkman when I was a kid, delivering fresh milk, direct to your doorstep daily!
Stores selling practically everything and also operating a line of steamships too. They also made military uniforms during WW2.

Their bicycle range was pretty much at the low end of the market throughout their existence; I think cheap department store/mail order bikes would be the equivalent on your side of the pond.
Some of their bicycles bore the 'Federal' or 'Federation' marque names in the past.
In terms of price I think yours would be on a par with any other basic, British, '50's/60's, ladies 3-speed bicycle - I'll leave that up to you guys over there to come up with a price range.

On the plus side, your example is in pretty good, unmolested condition and that chrome plating and paintwork could be polished up nicely.
It does seem to be missing the rear section of the rear mudguard (fender) however.

The fact that it's a 'C.W.S.' does give it a slight rarity value over there, but I don't think that would greatly add to any resale value; it's not a very sought-after marque.
It would make a great retro/vintage rider for someone.
On the negative side, it's a ladies bicycle and sadly, everywhere in the world, these often have a lower value than the equivalent gent's models.

Here are a couple of catalogue images, this one is from the 1937 catalogue.....
Screenshot_20220406-120744_Chrome.jpg

...an advert from 1939.....
Im19390520PP-CWS.jpg

...another advert, from.the 1950's, showing some of their diverse range.....
Im1949BIF-CWS.jpg

(Images from V-CC library and Grace's Guide).

Good luck with the sale.

John welcome there are a few collectors of english bikes here on the cabe , I live near you up on the hill ! I 've collected tank bikes since the 80's and welcome!!!

Back