When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What year Wasp?

-

3-speeder

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Happy Independence Day everybody! So I picked up this beauty last week and was so excited to get it. It's got the heavy duty wheels and the cool chainguard that I love. Don't know what's up with the little chainwheel? From the serial number it looks like it could have been built in '53 or '57. I think the first Wasps came out in the '54 catalog so could this be a first year run or would it be a '57 build?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
What do you think?

Upon further review it appears that I have a 1961 Wasp. I misread the serial number. D'oh. Thanks anyway.
image.jpg

Last edited:
That's weird. Your Wasp has the large oval head badge and 61 ushered in the small oval head badges. With that little chain ring I'd bet that bike carried a big load of newspapers or maybe pulled a construction trailer. :) BTW, the first year Wasp had painted S-2's.

Back