When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What year's were Shorty's

-

coasterbrakejunkie1969

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I'm a bit confused as to exactly is a short frame. I was under the impression that '631/2-'65 were what is considered short frames. I know in '65 they lengthened the frame and then again in '68. Is a shorty any frame that will only accept a 36 tooth sprocket or is it only the first run of Stingray's? The year of the frame is important not the nickname given to them but I have run into a bit of confusion recently and was wondering if this could be cleared up.

I wonder what the exact length difference is in the three Stingray wheelbases. (i.e. Shorty, 65-68 36 Sprocket, Post 68 larger sprocket.)
Also, were Krate and 3/5 speed frames the same wheelbase as the later coaster frames?

I'm a bit confused as to exactly is a short frame. I was under the impression that '631/2-'65 were what is considered short frames. I know in '65 they lengthened the frame and then again in '68. Is a shorty any frame that will only accept a 36 tooth sprocket or is it only the first run of Stingray's? The year of the frame is important not the nickname given to them but I have run into a bit of confusion recently and was wondering if this could be cleared up.
I believe a Shorty frame is a 63 1/2 - 65 Stingray - but also, Schwinn kept making the Shorty frame and used it for the Stingray Junior - and maybe for other Juvenile 20" bikes? Because I think the wheelbase is a bit shorter but also the frame height is shorter - so the seat could get low for Shorties.

Not to make it more confusing but, Keep in mind, the 20 inch Shorty frame you are referring to was made prior to 1963 1/2"... Spitfire, Speedster, American, Buddy, etc.
For the Sting-ray years... Sting-ray... '63 1/2, - '65, Junior Sting-ray... '64 - '78, Sting-ray II... '79-'80.
Also, 20 inch Typhoon, Tornado, Fleet, Skipper

Is the 64 Stingray the same size frame as a 65 Stingray Junior? And what month in 65 did they switch sizes ?

For Stingrays, the shorty frame was available on the first 63's through April 65. April was a transition month to the long frame, so you had both in April. All long frame Stingrays are the same size. Prior to 63 Stingray, the shorty frame existed on other bikes like the Typhoon or Buddy and the shorty frame continued after April 65 on Junior models.

Last edited:
For Stingrays, the shorty frame was available on the first 63's through April 65. April was a transition month to the long frame, so you had both in April. All long frame Stingrays are the same size. Prior to 63 Stingray, the shorty frame existed on other bikes like the Typhoon or Buddy and the shorty frame continued after April 65 on Junior models.
So a "shorty " is only the first generation till '65? What do I call the second generation between short and long? Just wondering as it really makes no difference, I have heard people call the '65-'68 shorty due to the shorter chain stays that will only accept the 36 tooth sprocket. I thought the closer to the seat post fender bridge made a shorty.

Back