When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's Aunt Judy bringing?

-

What 'old Schwinn' is Aunt Judy bringing?

• pre war Aerocycle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • '60's middle weight

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • '70's light weight

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Stingray

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Megalo Mart POS

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
corvette?

I wish!

Cotton Picker!

Uhh, no.

It's all uphill from here... :cool:

View attachment 1103683

@bikemonkey, you're on to something...

70s lightweight
This is what I was given when grandma brought me a vintage bike she found, except it was brown.

It could have been anything! Aerocycle, airflow, an Indian wonder? The hour arrived...
View attachment 1103773

I feel your pain...

Almost 50% of poll respondents chose the correct answer - '70's lightweight - however I didn't think to include an option for girls model!

20191215_165556.jpg

1970 girls Suburban, three speed, SN DF27930

Not what I was hoping for, but I can focus on the positive. Overall she's in very good condition, grips, seat, pedals just need cleaned

20191215_165935.jpg

20191215_165614.jpg

Tires are shot, how do you remove dried gumwall goo from chrome rims?

20191215_165723.jpg

Could have been worse, I have tires for these S-6 rims, add brake pads and the normal clean/lube and she will be road ready. Tubes are holding air and the SA 3 speed shifts. Even the cables look new. Paint is in pretty good shape (graphics not so much). In spite of her age she seems to have had an easy life. Maybe I'll stable her with my Collegiate...

20190913_090230.jpg

and see if I get any Lil' Tigers running around.

I will accept free Chicago Schwinns most anytime!

Your "blind date" could have have been a lot worse and it's not a rust bucket. These Suburbans ride like dreamboats and yours will quite the lady when she is done - don't see many white ones, especially with decent paint. Your sweet Collegiate might get a bit jealous of the attention :cool:

For leopard skin tires, I take pliers and squeeze/crunch them inwards to break the sidewalls free. If they are real tight, cut the beads with wirecutters and strip them off with your pliers.

After I get the tire completely off, I shave off what tire gum residue I can with a single edge razor on the rim's top lip and lastly use a drill with wire brush on the innards.

If you let the rim get cold the old tire residue will be more brittle and easier to remove. Disregard that last part as you are in FL...

I would suggest using mechanical means first as once you use acetone or WD-40, etc to soften the residue, it will be gummy and harder to remove any remnants with the drill
Anyway, you should remove it all from the inner sidewalls or it will be a PITA to seat the new tires. They are stubborn enough with clean rims...

Last edited:
Remember.....
it's the thought that counts.

Suburbans are nice riding bikes , IMO. It appears to me that it would not take much to clean it up. I have never seen tires break down like that before.
Would make a nice bike for your wife .
20191216_074959.jpg

or convert it to a trike / beer & grocery getter.

Last edited:
Back