What's it? 1890's Accentric Dropouts

• REMINDER: There is a 2-day bump rule for Classifieds forums. Please take a moment to review the rules by clicking HERE.

This ad disappears when logged in

Dave Stromberger

I'm Afraid I Can't Let You Do That
Staff member
System Administrator
May 20, 2006
Cheney, WA
Picked this up at the Iron Ranch swap meet yesterday. It was in Alan's collection. I know I've seen one of these recently, either it was here on the Cabe, or on eBay... not sure. Can anybody help identify this machine? I've seen a few other threads discussing the dropouts, but didn't seem to be exactly like this.

Thanks!

1890's Mystery Racer-001.jpg

1890's Mystery Racer-002.jpg

1890's Mystery Racer-003.jpg

1890's Mystery Racer-004.jpg

1890's Mystery Racer-005.jpg

Jesse McCauley

I live for the CABE
Mar 5, 2013
Richmond, VA & Detroit, MI
I’ve seen quite a few mfgs use the same dropouts and spacer hardware leading me to think they bought from a wholesale components mfg.

That Manson that was recently on fb and purchased with Sanger bars and a bunch of teens stuff on it had eccentric dropouts I believe very similar/the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

locomotion

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 15, 2011
Canada
this is a very nice invention, I have 3 different brand bikes with it, one being a Eagle like yours.
it works very well to adjust the chain tension
it's amazing that I have never seen a broken rear dropout of one (being so thin)

Dave Stromberger

Staff member
System Administrator
May 20, 2006
Cheney, WA
this is a very nice invention, I have 3 different brand bikes with it, one being a Eagle like yours.
it works very well to adjust the chain tension
it's amazing that I have never seen a broken rear dropout of one (being so thin)
Nice. Do you have some pics of your Eagle that you could share?

corbettclassics

I live for the CABE
Feb 11, 2012
Burbank, United States
I'm glad I was able to help Jesse identify this bike when he contacted me yesterday. I didn't see this thread or I would have posted my findings.

The ads posted in the thread here don't show this particular model. And I think your forks have been hit as they have a slight bend backwards.

: - > I believe the bike is an 1899 Model 50. The fork crown is the giveaway and you also have the 28 tooth chain ring.

Here's what I think it is: ( again, check your wheelbase but straighten the fork out first )

Untitled.png

Untitled 2.png

Last edited:

Dave Stromberger

Staff member
System Administrator
May 20, 2006
Cheney, WA
I'm glad I was able to help Jesse identify this bike when he contacted me yesterday. I didn't see this thread or I would have posted my findings.

The ads posted in the thread here don't show this particular model. And I think your forks have been hit as they have a slight bend backwards.

: - > I believe the bike is an 1899 Model 50. The fork crown is the giveaway and you also have the 28 tooth chain ring.

Here's what I think it is: ( again, check your wheelbase but straighten the fork out first )

Thanks Bill!

That sure looks like it. I'll measure it up when I get a chance. Yes it's been wrecked, the frame has a crude repair to the top tube and there are some issues with the stays too. It needs some serious TLC that is beyond my abilities. If I decide to build it, I'll have to learn how, or find somebody.

Dave Stromberger

Staff member
System Administrator
May 20, 2006
Cheney, WA
Looks like the wheelbase measures 43" with the bent fork, so probably a good guess that it'd be 44" when fixed. Also, the height is 24". If I build this, I've got a rare 40 spoke hub and rim to find! D'oh!

@corbettclassics do you happen to have the features/options pages from that 1899 Eagle catalog to share?

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture