When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's that for a bicycle? Company and production year

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

wohlgut

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi,

last weekend I had the chance to get this nice old bicycle from a dealer in Germany. He bought the bike a long time ago from a collector in Austria. Unfortunately the headbadge is missing. There are no holes for a headbadge on the head tube, that's interesting. But it looks like there was a headbadge there once. The paint seems to be original. Remnants of ornaments can still be seen on the seat tube. The frame has the number 4043. As yo can see, the rear hub does not fit to the chain. We suspect that the rear hub has been replaced, but the rims are original. Can anyone identify the bike?
Based on my research I know that the handlebar is from the Kelly handle bar company in Cleveland. Attached you can see two patents. So the handle bar is from about 1899. Interesting is also that the bike seems to be quiet similar to the Kenmore from (see picture) and possibly around 1896 since it has the single seat stay bar. But the dropouts are different. I also saw quit similar ornaments here: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7272500_c-1897-sterling-pneumatic-safety-bicycle

Thank you for your help.

011_image0.jpeg

041_image3.jpeg

021_image1.jpeg

031_image2.jpeg

02_image1.jpeg

03_image2.jpeg

04_image3.jpeg

0311_image2.jpeg

0211_image1.jpeg

0111_image0.jpeg

01_image0.jpeg

3006839583_8657494bbe_o.jpg

Attachments

• US622490.pdf
    155.1 KB · Views: 27
  • US624232.pdf
    321.4 KB · Views: 24
Looks 1900 ish, may have had decal in stead of badge, if bars weren't so pitted would bring $400 American. can we get a picture under crank housing/BB? unusual wood wheels. Cogs are a bit newer and 1/2" pitch not Inch pitch as the Block chain.

Today I removed the crank and the bearings. It seems to be a crank made by the Schwinn Bicycle Company. This company was founded in Chicago in 1895. Unfortunately the bearings need to be renewed because of pitting.

image0(2).jpeg

Wheels look similar to CB Italia clinchers, in their "Bacchetta" style, 700c size, hence the way too much clearance between the fork crown/seat stay bridge and the tyres. These rims are still being made today.....

Nice bike made almost rideable by almost useable wheels, you just need a different rear sprocket.
It looks like you have an earlyish 2, or 3 speed rear cluster on there, which judging by the rim design and Pirelli tyres may well be off an Italian bicycle originally, possibly from the 1930s/40s/50s?
It would be interesting to see any markings on that rear hub and freewheel. Wheels could be valuable on their own.

Wow, that's really interesting. Thanks :)
I couldn't see any markings at first glance. But I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

Unfortunately I can't see any markings on the hubs - perhabs under the rust. Only the sprocket has some markings: Regina Extra. The further inscription is not well readable. The wood rims are also 32mm wide.

01_image0.jpeg

02_image1.jpeg

Back